Author Topic: Engine Identification Wire Tags  (Read 2132 times)

Offline tomjacksonn@live.com

Engine Identification Wire Tags
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
Mustangs Unlimited offers "Engine Identification Wire Tags", page 368. (2"stickers with the engine code printed on them, and it looks like the initial timing setting.)
I bought one thinking it was the ID tag for the left side valve cover. It is not. 
Where do these Wire Tags go? On the coil wire or ?????

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine Identification Wire Tags
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
can you post a link or pic of the item in question??
5F09C331248

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:59 AM »
Without a picture, it' hard to tell what exactly you may be referencing.  However, the online catalog in the page range you referenced seems to be an assortment of "tags" used to identify the different wiring leads and harnesses.  These tags are wrapped around the wires and are specific to each wire location/application.  Other then that, it's hard to be too much more specific without a picture.
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
Mustangs Unlimited offers "Engine Identification Wire Tags", page 368. (2"stickers with the engine code printed on them, and it looks like the initial timing setting.)
I bought one thinking it was the ID tag for the left side valve cover. It is not. 
Where do these Wire Tags go? On the coil wire or ?????

I think there's some mixing of terminology here. The engine ID stickers were applied to the cylinder head or valve cover, depending on engine type. Here's a big block, with the sticker on the front of the RH cylinder head:

"Wire tags" probably means decals that went around wiring harnesses, coil wire, etc.

Perhaps they simply missed punctuation in their description: "Engine Identification, Wire Tags"  ::)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
Thanks. Here is a pix of the tag itself. The decoding is for the 302 J code Manual Trans (283), Cleveland factory, 68 model year, change level 3, date of mfg: 8 B or February 1968. The "-T" might be for a thermactor equipped engine?
Here is a pix of the sticker

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
Thanks. Here is a pix of the tag itself. The decoding is for the 302 J code Manual Trans (283), Cleveland factory, 68 model year, change level 3, date of mfg: 8 B or February 1968. The "-T" might be for a thermactor equipped engine?
Here is a pix of the sticker

Yes that is the Engine ID paper tag (an aluminum one was also installed) Not sure where the reference to Wire Tags came from

In this example its applied to the drivers side valve cover - front face
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
Jeff
Sorry, I confused the metal tag with the stickers in my last post (newbee mistake, sorry). In addition to the metal tag, there is a sticker that goes on the left valve cover, which I believe is the Engine ID tag / sticker. (pix attached). The other tag / sticker is the one MU called a Engine Identification wire tag, This I the one I cant figure out where it goes. The text on it is L6 & 283J, pix attached.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:54:02 AM »
The other tag / sticker is the one MU called a Engine Identification wire tag, This I the one I cant figure out where it goes. The text on it is L6 & 283J, pix attached.

Don't know why these pictures didn't stick to the last post   ::)

Have plenty more examples
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff! :)