Author Topic: Heater Control Valve Repair?  (Read 951 times)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Heater Control Valve Repair?
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:34 PM »
I have an original, all-metal heater control valve that was NOS when I installed it on my 1970 Mach 1 in 2007. I just had to replace it (thankfully I had a spare) due to a failed seal that allowed coolant to flow through it. Does anyone know if it's possible to rebuild or repair this type of valve? The all-metal versions are hard to find and I'd rather not throw it away if it can be repaired. FWIW I asked the guys at Classic Auto Air and they said it can't be done.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Heater Control Valve Repair?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
I have an original, all-metal heater control valve that was NOS when I installed it on my 1970 Mach 1 in 2007. I just had to replace it (thankfully I had a spare) due to a failed seal that allowed coolant to flow through it. Does anyone know if it's possible to rebuild or repair this type of valve? The all-metal versions are hard to find and I'd rather not throw it away if it can be repaired. FWIW I asked the guys at Classic Auto Air and they said it can't be done.
You can replace the vacuum pod with a restored replacement on a working valve. You can make a working valve LOOK like new but I have never heard of anyone replacing the seal to fix the valve.

Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby