Author Topic: Phosphate At Home -  (Read 2883 times)

Offline jwc66k

Phosphate At Home -
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I did some phosphating this weekend and here's the results. The bead blasting part actually started on Wednesday and finished on Friday. There were about 135 items from a 66 hood latch, door rod clips, seat track plates (they didn't come out they way I wanted so I'm doing them over), 65 shackles, 69 or 70 tie downs and a lot of miscellaneous nuts, bolts and washers.
Pic 1 After bead blasting.
Pic 2 After bead blasting, a closer shot.
Pic 3 After bead blasting, another closer shot.
Pic 4 After bead blasting, factory tie rod ends from my "K" car.
Pic 5 After phosphate. Nuts, bolts, washers, springs and clips go thru a preliminary step to get them blackened.
Pic 6 After phosphate. tie rod ends. There's a couple of more steps to do on these.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 68427GTE

Re: Phosphate At Home -
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
Where can you buy manganese phosphate? Anywhere in Brisbane?

Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
Find a local plating shop that does zinc plating as they usually need many different chemicals and ask them if they would order manganese phosphate chemicals from their supplier. Explain why, a restoration hobby attracts peoples interest and if you are up front, they will be helpful. Shop that do chrome plating only, may not have access to all chemicals so try them last.
Think your process thru. You will need: stainless steel pans and tools; an outside heat source (you do not want to do plating in the kitchen); a rinse tank; a drying area; oil to finish the process; disposal. Plus you need to have any items you process free of paint, grease, oil - down to bare steel, before you start.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Where can you buy manganese phosphate? Anywhere in Brisbane?

Mike

Another option is mail order - places like Caswell offers (at least did) the solution not sure about overseas shipping but worth checking with
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
http://www.janekits.com.au/black.php

Located in NSW... well, they were as I used this kit quite a few years ago.
Very happy with the results.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.