Author Topic: 67 hood spring finish  (Read 7554 times)

Offline gimpystoy

67 hood spring finish
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »
67 Metuchen, May build.
Hood springs bare?
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 hood spring finish
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Hinge and spring would be phosphate & oil.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »
Thank You

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
Hinge and spring would be phosphate & oil.
The spring would be darker as it was made from heat treated steel.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Jim

Not certain that the beginning finish and look had allot of impact on the final, after plating, look and tone. If so its been my experience that it is/was not noticeable. When plating them today care must be taken with heating them for plating since you can effect the structure of the metal if you use too much heat or cool it too quickly

Just my experiences
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »
Not certain that the beginning finish and look had allot of impact on the final, after plating, look and tone. If so its been my experience that it is/was not noticeable. When plating them today care must be taken with heating them for plating since you can effect the structure of the metal if you use too much heat or cool it too quickly

Just my experiences
Well add this - heating any iron or steel item between 180 F and 212 F for phosphating is not going to affect the temper. I've found the typical temperature in my tank is around 190 F to 200 F. That goes for the maximum ten minutes of plating. I let the item cool a few seconds from the hot tank to being is dipped in rinse water, so the temperature has probably dropped to 100-120 F, just about where it can be touched (don't, there's acid on the item).
However, zinc plating temperature get up to 380-390 F (maybe higher) in the process and that does have an adverse effect on the temper of steel. This is from conversations with my plater. There is an additional step to reduce the effects of embrittlement where the item is baked. I assume that cad plated items are similar. I've had a few washers crack (they may have been stressed in use), and an occasional screw heat twist off (too much torque?) that I had zinc plated. It's not an absolute.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:22:13 AM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
Just passing on concerns and comments from those that do this for a living. Metallurgy is not my area of study :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
Jim

+1 the identical process renders a darker spring than hinge every time. Perhaps with the time and heat cycles it dulls down to look closer to the hinge in tone. They all look different than new with time regardless as witnessed on survivor cars.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
Just passing on concerns and comments from those that do this for a living. Metallurgy is not my area of study :)
Metallurgy is not my area of study either, but back when I worked for a living, I evaluated subcontractors as part of my responsibilities, platers included. There were many facets to this function, but in the case of platers, the plating process was critical, and somewhat interesting. You pick up little bits of info that get called on later in life. I consider my current plater a friend, he is car friendly, owns a 1967 and a 2006 Mustang, and answers my plating questions willingly (I do bribe him with a bottle of wine occasionally). Just passing on "the process".
Jim

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
Wow: I'm always getting an education on here. It's wonderful!
As a wise mentor of mine always told  NEVER stop learning & asking questions
Gimpy

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »
I refinished my hood hinges/springs a few weeks ago and have provided a few pics.  I used magnesium phosphate to parkerize the parts.  I'm pretty happy with the finish but due to the size of the parts and the pot I was using, they were finished in two different batches.  I think the color is slightly different...in the right light.  However, once on the car, I don't think it will be noticeable.  The first photo is the set-up picture after the hinges and springs were blasted and cleaned.  The second picture is the completed parts with a darker, more uniform parkerized finish.
Lee
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I refinished my hood hinges/springs a few weeks ago and have provided a few pics.  I used magnesium phosphate to parkerize the parts.  I'm pretty happy with the finish but due to the size of the parts and the pot I was using, they were finished in two different batches.  I think the color is slightly different...in the right light.  However, once on the car, I don't think it will be noticeable.  The first photo is the set-up picture after the hinges and springs were blasted and cleaned.  The second picture is the completed parts with a darker, more uniform parkerized finish.
Lee
I got so good news and some bad news  :) . The good news is the hinges and spring plating look good. The bad news is the hinges are replacement style . 67 style is different. That style hinge wasn't used until later 68 Mustang production. Typically seen on 69/70.I'll let others post pictures of 67 earlier 68 hinges to show difference. I hope they are going on a later 68 and not a 67 like the heading of this thread indicates.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:53:41 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
The bad news is the hinges are replacement style, 67 style is different. That style hinge wasn't used until later 68 Mustang production.

We'll Bob, that' not bad news....that's terrible news!  Until, 5 mins ago, they were supposed to go back on the (Dec 67 built) 1968 Mustang.  They came off the vehicle I've owned for over 10 years, they always say you never know what you'll find on a preowned vehicle.  I knew the driver side fender had been replaced in the 70’s with a ford replacement part, presumable it was hit at one time.  But now, it appears the hinges were likely replaced during this same incident.

It looks like I have a set of (replacement) hinges for sale and I'm in the market for an earlier set.  I guess I'll get to further develop/ improve my parkerizing skills.  Thanks for your "observations" Bob....I think :'(

Lee
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
I'll check and if I have a early set on the shelf.
Marty

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
That is indeed horrible news, Lee!
Putting all the time and effort in restoring it, and then finding out there not the real deal...
Always want to learn more, so... how do you see/know that the hinges are aftermarket or real?
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967