Author Topic: Keys  (Read 1899 times)

Offline ceggar

Keys
« on: December 16, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »
I have seen ignition/door keys with a round hole,rectangular hole,and a diamond shape hole. Is this a manufacture style or is there a date change?i have a 1967 GTA with a 9/30/66 build date and trying to find what would be correct. Dont have the original. Thanks
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline ruppstang

Re: Keys
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »
The correct key for a 67 or 68 will have a round hole. The latter service replacements have a oval or slotted hole.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »
To add - Originals with correct markings were heavier brass and not light aluminum. I am not close to picture file so link will have to do. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-NOS-KEY-BLANK-1967-68-70-71-72-73-MUSTANG-GALAXIE-FAIRLANE-SHELBY-ETC-/172441457074
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:59:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »
Just what are aluminum, bare finish, round hole, "Ford Family of Fine Cars" Keys?

I just looked through my stash and found the original keys to my 67 SJ.
I have one well worn brass, ignition/lock round hole, "Family of Fine Cars" (you can still read the text, but barely); one aluminum bare finish, round hole, "Family of Fine Cars" ignition key and one (same) trunk.
Off to the side I have what may be a set of C9AZ keys, aluminum bare finish, round hole, 'Family of Fine Cars" ignition and trunk with the fine wire and round disc key number.

For Concours should I source an NOS brass ignition and trunk key and put the round disc with it? Or use the old brass and get a new brass trunk key? Does the disc key number mean anything to judges or will any old number (not matching to car) suffice?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

For Concours should I source an NOS brass ignition and trunk key and put the round disc with it? Or use the old brass and get a new brass trunk key? Does the disc key number mean anything to judges or will any old number (not matching to car) suffice?

In Concours Trailered I've never know a team that inspected or asked to see the keys. If the key code disc was attached to the keys they would never see it and if they did they would not have any numbers to compare it to unless they went through an owners manual which is unlikely in the situation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Set of 3 double cut trunk keys
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »

There is going to be slight variations on the judging style of different judges . If I were to see the wrong keys in the ignition or older worn looking keys there would be a deduction . That goes for the extra set too.  Right is right and wrong is wrong. If I didn't see the keys chances are I would not ask to see them . The better the car is the more likely I would ask to see them. Time is a issue in judging typically. Typically we do not have the time to cover every single thing on a car (thousands). The less that is wrong the more time to cover other things. As far as the key code discs go and using a random one for display purposes ,technically they are suppose to be correct . With that said I have not ever tried to cross reference the number on the disc in any way . You can read between the lines if you choose.  If I didn't see the disc on a set that may be in the ignition I wouldn't have a issue . If I saw the set in the ignition with the key code disc I would probably include a  :)  on the judging sheet to show appreciation for the extra detail effort. If I saw the extra set that would have come in the glove box and it didn't have a disc I would see that as a problem because although the disc was routinely removed from the primary key set it should be on the secondary key set. . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Set of 3 double cut trunk keys
For the 67-70 cars that I typically judge that used that style key for example the first style with the round hole would be correct and the other two with the oval hole is not correct.  FYI "correct" doesn't necessarily equate to functionally better. Many things evolved to be better for a given application. In the case of the keys, the oval opening is a better design for the application but is not historically correct.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
As always, appreciate the answers.

I gather the aluminum, round hole with correct markings is a dealer sourced item in that same time period? Simply, another set of keys, but not correct to the car as delivered.
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
As always, appreciate the answers.

I gather the aluminum, round hole with correct markings is a dealer sourced item in that same time period? Simply, another set of keys, but not correct to the car as delivered.
I don't think it was the same time period as when the 67 cars were produced. I havn't devoted a lot of time to it because it was not assemblyline so if someone has more definitive information I am all ears. I am not sure when the aluminum key started but I am under the impression it was around the early 70's  shortly before the oval keys started. Original type keys are still prevalent enough that it shouldn't be a problem sourcing them. Go on ebay at any given time and you can typically find them. They may even repro them now.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
This is a double cut, Ford key gauge. With this and the decoder book, is all that would be needed to verify the key codes. LOL
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »
This is a double cut, Ford key gauge. With this and the decoder book, is all that would be needed to verify the key codes. LOL
Thank you for posting a picture of one . I havn't seen one for years. I looked for one for a time (not to use at shows :) ) but just like my hand key cutter I found it was not practical. I did buy a motorized key cutter that does come in handy to duplicate correct keys from the morphadite or worn out ones that many times end up with cars.  I don't know about anyone else but if I was judging a otherwise perfect car I may wish I had a key gauge in my pocket. I am skeptical if I will ever be put in that position.  ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:02:55 AM »
Ok, found two sets of NOS brass, plated, small hole key blanks.

This may take a while, but piece by piece . . .

[on edit - left out a comma -- punctuation matters!]
[on second edit and so does spelink]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:31:10 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 03:31:56 AM »
Jeff s.  the key decoder ring #s are recorded on the pre-delivery sheets as there is place on the sheets for both ign. & trunk key codes  also 2 types key decoder rings hollow center & with the bar  FA doors &ign.  FB  trunk & glovebox  then I think around 69  the decoder ring had a small hole punched off to 1 side  or maybe that version was a vendor change.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
Jeff s.  the key decoder ring #s are recorded on the pre-delivery sheets as there is place on the sheets for both ign. & trunk key codes ....................

Agreed as well as saved (for a time) with the dealership in some paper form
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)