Author Topic: Seam Sealers and Sound Deadeners - What worked for me  (Read 31925 times)

Offline roddster

Re: Seam Sealers and Sound Deadeners - What worked for me
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »
I was looking through a Harbor Freight catalog when I saw a "paint texture gun" for 19.95.  Seems to me if I could figure out what to mix in with 3M body Shutz it might be the way to go.  Any thoughts?
I'd be using this on the inside of the quarter panels on my 67 Shelby (San Jose build)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
I was looking through a Harbor Freight catalog when I saw a "paint texture gun" for 19.95.  Seems to me if I could figure out what to mix in with 3M body Shutz it might be the way to go.  Any thoughts?
I'd be using this on the inside of the quarter panels on my 67 Shelby (San Jose build)

IF this is the one I've seen in the stores it sort of a gravity feed hopper used to shot stuff like the popcorn ceiling texture in a house. IMHO pretty large to manipulate in a trunk area and not sure how much control (to produce the fairly crisp edges of the quarter panel sound deadener.  Should only cost you about $40-50 to try it our on a cardboard box - let us know if it works - or even if it does not ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline roddster

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
What drew me to it was the price; $19.95   And it is as you described with the hopper type reservoir.  It will be a few weeks 'till I get to try it.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Check out my blog post about what we chose to use on our 65 HiPo convertible:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2011/04/early-1965-mustang-289-hipo-convertible_27.html

Offline roddster

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Well, time flies.  Just bought the "body Shutz" gun last week.  Question for Jeff;  Where does one buy the "sludge" at?  Is this something sold at autobody stuff stores, or a home center like Menards/Home Depot?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Well, time flies.  Just bought the "body Shutz" gun last week.  Question for Jeff;  Where does one buy the "sludge" at?  Is this something sold at autobody stuff stores, or a home center like Menards/Home Depot?

Might want to check with the maker to see who they resell through. A number of web sites resell the stuff but here is the parent company's site

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadener/spectrum-sludge.php
Jeff Speegle

Offline roddster

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  This is a pretty infomative website.  You can hear testmonials, see a short video on the sprayable "Spectrum".  Seems "Sludge" is not sprayable.  Both products are water based.  Easy clean up.  They say it will not crack.  And, there is a Zipcode punch so if there is a place near you, you can find out right away, or, order the stuff direct from them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  This is a pretty infomative website.  You can hear testmonials, see a short video on the sprayable "Spectrum".  Seems "Sludge" is not sprayable.  Both products are water based.  Easy clean up.  They say it will not crack.  And, there is a Zipcode punch so if there is a place near you, you can find out right away, or, order the stuff direct from them.

Understand from others that they have sprayed it (got to water it down) but have not done that myself. Might try it in the front wheelwells for the Cougar I'm doing just to see how it turns out.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »
hey jeff-  tried the spectrum today-  you're right it's trial and error on how much activator you add. .   started out with some goop in a paint cup- then added a little bit of hardener.  mixed them up and applied to my rear tubs with a cut down paint brush.   didn't brush it on just applied it with a "stabbing" motion. .  lots of texture.  went on great
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »
hey jeff-  tried the spectrum today-  you're right it's trial and error on how much activator you add. .   started out with some goop in a paint cup- then added a little bit of hardener.  mixed them up and applied to my rear tubs with a cut down paint brush.   didn't brush it on just applied it with a "stabbing" motion. .  lots of texture.  went on great

Good to hear. Remember to top coat it with some spray on rubber undercoat so you get the fine texture and the spray on look along any edges
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
hi jeff- been studying this site again and again-    topcoated the spectrum with some paintable schutz  i liked the blackout look in the wheel wells but it isn't correct.  so i shot some blue over the blkout last nite .   used a spray gun to do the pinch weld blkout.  yes the over spray does shoot out a bit on the floor boards.  things are going great.  thanks again to the three wise men!
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline roddster

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Just finishing up the painting.  On the inside of the quarter panels, after checking the assembly manual as to what area is supposed to be covered, I put on two coats of Spectrum Sludge a day apart.  The stuff dries in about one hour, but, so as not to mess it up I waited one day.

You can brush it on any old way, then, "dab it" - quickly working with the brush at a 90 degree angle to get the right finish.  OK, it helped that I have an unrestored 67 GTA right there to copy from.  A day later I primed it, no primer soak in.  Two weeks or so later I painted white over it and again, no color soak in.

So, to summarize: no paint gun necessary at at.  All you need is a nylon brush.  2-3" wide is suitable.  Remember to "dab it" at a 90 degree angle.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 02:11:40 AM »
I found using a brush did not allow me to duplicate the overspray and spray look to the edges. Did you redo the brush seam sealer (approx 1" wide) inside the quarter panel to wheelwell seam (along the inner surface not the lip) ?

Hopefully you used the original car as an example rather than the assembly manuals - since they are WAY WAY off from what the assembly lines did ;)
Had one owner do that (copy the assembly manual) that took his car to SAAC for Concours this year - unfortunately :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline roddster

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
I really didn't undress the wheelhouse area, just took off the quarter panel main exposed part.

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »
Jeff,
Just wanted to say thanks, I used the Spectrum Sludge today to do my passenger side wheel well and was very happy with the results.  I used the cut down brush and was able to replicate the factory application very well.  As a matter of fact, I repaired a small hole in the wheel well and removed only about a quarter of the original sound deadener and I was able to blend the factory and the spectrum to the point where you cannot tell where the factory stopped and the spectrum began.  Tomorrow I plan on doing the driver side and then inside the driver quarter panel that I replaced. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:01:39 PM by tomtri66 »
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22