Author Topic: Need a template - Mustang 2 + 2 Emblem  (Read 1010 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Need a template - Mustang 2 + 2 Emblem
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
The Running Horse and "Mustang 2+2" emblems were removed from the front fenders on my '65 fastback (SJ/2.16.1965) by a PO.  Unfortunately the punched holes were filled with weld, not bondo, so I'm faced with drilling new holes so I can re-mount the emblems.  I've got to get this right the first time and I'm casting about for an accurate template for marking the holes before I begin drilling.  If anyone knows of a vendor or other source that carries accurate templates, please let me know.  And/or if anyone has a technique for making up a template from the pins on my new emblems, that would be very helpful, too.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Ron...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:31:48 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
Re: Need a template
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:06:57 AM »
I can't help you with the correct location on a 1965 fender but here's what I did on my '69. 

Put a dab of paint or grease on the pins of the new emblems, then 'print" them on a scrap piece of sheet metal. Drill correctly sized holes in the scrap metal, then slide it onto the emblem. When you've located the emblem (and drill template) in the correct location on the fender, tape the sheet metal template in place, remove the emblem, and use the template to drill the holes in the fender.

Someone with a survivor or concours car should be able to give you the "coordinates" of the emblem on the fender. It worked for me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:26:10 AM by 69RavenConv »
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  Thanks for that.  Ron...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
...When you've located the emblem (and drill template) in the correct location on the fender, tape the sheet metal template in place, remove the emblem, and use the template to drill the holes in the fender.

Someone with a survivor or concours car should be able to give you the "coordinates" of the emblem on the fender. It worked for me.

+1 Best examples can be sections cut from original (replaced) fenders, hood, trunk lids etc.

I needed to do this last year, I cut original sections out of the 'replaced panel' and drilled two of the furthest apart holes first and began inserting new rivets (without "popping" them) into each subsequent hole. Everything fit like a champ!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »
Best examples can be sections cut from original (replaced) fenders, hood, trunk lids etc.

Agreed. Just be aware that re-pop badges aren't always faithful to the originals, especially with respect to pin placement.
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V