Author Topic: Correct fender emblem...  (Read 2262 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Correct fender emblem...
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
Is the design of the front fender emblems (running horse and Mustang 2 + 2) the same on all 1965 Mustang fastbacks, or have there been some subtle changes in size or dimensions over the years?  The reason I ask is my '65 fastback (SJ/2.16.1965) is missing the emblems on both front fenders (welded in by a previous owner).  I'm re-assembling the car after years of "hibernation" in my garage and want to return the correct emblems to the fenders.  Thank you, Ron.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Correct fender emblem...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Ron,
The "design" is essentially the same for the pony and 2+2 emblems for all 65 Fastbacks (and 66). What's available are NOS parts which, in most cases, are the latest released items (that applies to more than emblems). Original factory items are more than rare and probably very expensive.
If you haven't got a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car you should consider getting them. In the interim, you can download this MPC -
http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
I can't help you on the holes as both my Fastbacks are factory GTs and use different emblems. However, the pony's mounting "should" be the same as the Hardtop or Convertible. The 2+2 is different.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Service replacements/NOS "running horses" are different than originals. Post size changed (they might have had issues with them smaller ones snapping off) so those will cause some issues if replacing originals. If you look at the back of those they are marked as later (C8) versions and reflect the vast majority of the ones out there for sale.  Original small posts are hard to find and expensive in the box. Nice originals are out there if you get lucky. Bought a couple at Tulsa during Mid America this year for $5 ea.  Polished up nicely just have to repaint the details
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
Hi Jeff

Regarding the emblems you scored for $5 at the swap meet, can you let me know if the part # on the back is: C5ZB-16098-E (or-C)?  I've been told that is the correct part # for the emblems I need for my '65 K code fastback (SJ/2.16.1965) but I want to confirm it before I start looking for a couple for my front fenders.  Thanks, Ron

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
Hi Jeff

Regarding the emblems you scored for $5 at the swap meet, can you let me know if the part # on the back is: C5ZB-16098-E (or-C)?  I've been told that is the correct part # for the emblems I need for my '65 K code fastback (SJ/2.16.1965) but I want to confirm it before I start looking for a couple for my front fenders.  Thanks, Ron

Will have to dig them out. There is a C4 version (in what some have discovered/believe there are two versions)  also
Jeff Speegle

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Jeff is correct: there are two versions out there. The C4 is the original assembly line version. Has a bit smaller diameter pins and the tail pin specifically is located more middle on the tail of the horse than the C8 version, which is located more forward towards the horse's hind quarters. If you end up using the C8 version, you'd have to remove the tail pin to use the existing holes in the fender. Bob Perkins has a set of C4's on eBay in the boxes (pricey) and the others you typically see are the later C8's. Most of the time, the sellers will post the back sides so you can see the numbers on the part itself. DO NOT go by the part numbers on the boxes, as they don't match the later C8's. Make sure you see both sides on the part itself before buying C4's, if that's what you want. Good ones are scarce, as Jim already mentioned. The rule I go by when I'm looking quickly, wanting to identify them is middle of the tail (pin position), C4, Top of the tail, C8.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
If I were home, a picture would be appropriate without a doubt. Most likely, Jeff will come through again with that extensive photo library of his!
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Jeff is correct: there are two versions out there. The C4 is the original assembly line version. .............

Was referring to two versions of the C4 horse. There was one with visible eyes in the design and one without. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
That's right! I forgot all about those, even though I think that's what we have currently. The detail is a bit better.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
Just did a quick Google search and this turned up:

http://ct.early-mustang.com/charles/running_horses/running_horses.htm

Our firewalls here at work are blocking the photos but the text write-ups look thorough. Others here can verify accuracy better than I can. Hope it helps you out a little bit more.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
Here's the most common NOS C8 third version.  No mane hair, no eyes and barely a smirk.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
I'm not sure what's wrong with the picture links on the web page, but here is the folder link directly to the files.

http://ct.early-mustang.com/charles/running_horses/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
I'm not sure what's wrong with the picture links on the web page, but here is the folder link directly to the files.

http://ct.early-mustang.com/charles/running_horses/
Links in page has /resize/picture.jpg so it is referring to another folder called resize.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
Links in page has /resize/picture.jpg so it is referring to another folder called resize.

No, the problem is they are pointing to www.early-mustang.com and it should be ct.early-mustang.com

Guess I did that a long time ago. 

Will fix when I get a chance!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
If I were home, a picture would be appropriate without a doubt. Most likely, Jeff will come through again with that extensive photo library of his!

Looks like (figured so since its a 65-66 detail) others have addressed all the little differences, casting numbers and so on  8)
Jeff Speegle