Author Topic: sport lamps  (Read 1152 times)

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

sport lamps
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
I was wondering if  anybody has restored their sport lamps on a 70 mach 1 and what did they use for the dichromate or what ever was used on the outside. I was thinking eastwoods paint but not sure.. just curious if I could get somebodys experience on this . I don't see it on their website  at all though..mine aren't in too bad of shape.. Mark

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: sport lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
I was wondering if  anybody has restored their sport lamps on a 70 mach 1 and what did they use for the dichromate or what ever was used on the outside. I was thinking eastwoods paint but not sure.. just curious if I could get somebodys experience on this . I don't see it on their website  at all though..mine aren't in too bad of shape.. Mark
Zinc Dichromate(gold) is what was used on the housing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:49 PM »
what is my best bet with  out tearing the housings all apart? eastwood or is there someplace else?  thank bob :)  Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »
what is my best bet with  out tearing the housings all apart? eastwood or is there someplace else?  thank bob :)  Mark

I would disassemble the housing (take the light fixture out) and plate them. Really not that hard. Did it on some back up lights I restored a few years back. You'll find the process I used to disassemble those fixtures from the housing in an article in the library.

Rattle can is not going to look like plating IMHO for such a large area. Works sometimes touching up an issue on a plated part of something like a screw head
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:19 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I had thought of that and  I contacted a plater in my state to see if he can do this process.   Thanks again! Mark