Author Topic: 65-66 Strut Rod Bushings  (Read 900 times)

Offline Brian Conway

65-66 Strut Rod Bushings
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »
I got the Scott Drake reproduction strut rod bushings and was pleased with the accuracy of this reproduction.  The ' rubber ' bushings C4DZ-3A187-A fit and preform as they should.  I compared them to my original ' Harris ' bushings and they were very close.   The male portion of the front bushing is missing a ' ridge ' where it mates with rear bushing.  The dimensions were off just slightly, probably age, as the Drakes were taller and the circumference was less.  My opinion ?  Over all a nice part.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

Re: 65-66 Strut Rod Bushings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:31:10 PM »
A guy in Havasu had a mustang sitting outside with a cover for a year or two.

When he moved the car he noticed 4 blobs of something on the pavement.

Upon closer examination he deduced what he was looking at.

He had replaced the end link bushings before parking the car.

And there they we're.

On the pavement.

He came to the conclusion when he looked under the mustang and there we're no rubber bushings on the end links, they melted off clean as a whistle.

I would suggest sourcing original rubber goods whenever possible.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »

Keep in mind that Lake Havasu, Arizona can get up to 117 Degrees on a good day... I should know, My uncle used to live there..

If you can find later '90s or Early 2000's Ford Service replacement bushings... I say go for it.  I wouldn't use '60's-70's NOS Rubber.....A real waste of money IMHO..

If you can't locate good rubber replacements, then I would just go with Black Polyurethane or Better newer Black PolyGraphite Composite Bushings....and never worry about them again.  Places like Mustangs Plus and PST specialize and carry this stuff.  Mind you this would only be for Non-Concours shown cars...

https://p-s-t.com/c-1176072-suspension-suspension-components-polygraphite-bushings.html#!year%3D1966%7C%7Cmake%3DFORD%7C%7Cmodel%3DMUSTANG

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
I doubt that there will be any "hot weather" problems with these particular strut rod bushings. If someone does have problems, please let me know.

We have made the 65-66 GT350 one inch sway bar bushings, and hundreds have been sold. I have personally tested them on quite a few cars that get driven a lot with no problems.