Author Topic: Sway Bar End Links  (Read 5194 times)

Offline bluemax

Sway Bar End Links
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
My latest detailing project on my SVO is the front suspension. While refurbishing the front sway bar, I noticed that my end links didn't match what I had seen on other cars. Apparently they had been replaced with after market parts somewhere along the line (prior to my ownership). Using Daniel Carpenter's low mileage SVO as reference, you can see that the hardware is phosphated, the nut is zinc plated, and the bushings are turquoise. The original Ford kits listed in the '86 Parts Catalog, E5ZZ-5A486-A, have long been obsolete.

The Ford service replacements listed for an '86 SVO (E6ZZ-5A486-A), are not concours correct. You will notice that the hardware no longer uses a metal sleeve, but rather a crimp in the bolt and the nut is now attached to a washer on both ends.

The Moog aftermarket kits are a little closer to oem, but the hardware and bushings are not concours correct. You could reuse the metal sleeve, refinish it, but that is about it.

Referencing the 1986 Ford Parts Catalog and David LaRoque's SVO book, I came up with the following list of parts required to create a concours correct end lnk.

N802099-S2 bolt
N802100-S100 washer
N800264-S2 spacer
N800280-S7 nut
E5ZC-5493-BA insulator

Of course the other option is to refinish your oem hardware, but typically the bolts corrode under the bushings and need to be replaced.

Talking with Kendal Coker on the subject, it appears that the '84 SVO came with black rubber bushings rather than the turquoise colored bushings used in late '85 and '86. We are not sure when the actual change occured. I have attached a picture of an oem end link that came from one of Kendal's cars (minus the black bushings). I have an assumption of what the Ford part number for the '84 kit is, but it is also long obsolete.

The turquoise colored bushings are used into the 90's (F1ZC), but I have not found a source for these.

Hope this helps.

Offline Kendal Coker

Re: Sway Bar End Links
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
I looke at my 84 I bought new and have never changed the bushings.  Interesting that they changed colors. 

Offline bluemax

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
I looke at my 84 I bought new and have never changed the bushings.  Interesting that they changed colors.

Hi Kendal,

Based upon what I have learned thus far, I believe the earlier black bushings are actually "rubber" while the later turquoise bushings appear to be a harder material. Can you confirm yours are rubber? The oem black bushings that I have aquired don't have an engineering number molded into them like the later turquoise bushings do.

Thanks!

Matt

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:49 AM »
I have an NOS service set that appears like the one fitted to the cars but has black rubber bushings. It's an E4 part though.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Working off the process sheets (though I didn't compare to dates for shock valve change) I show

11-25-84 Marked for change
11-9/14/25- 84 Authority to change
12-5-84 Last page with notes on "green" for parts

So the first 5 or 6 months of production for 1985 likely were Black.
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Kendal Coker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
good information Mark.  thanks

Offline bluemax

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
As additional info...

I had the opportunity to visit Daniel Carpenter's collection once again during the 50th Anniversary show in Charlotte. The picture that I have in post #1 is from his low mileage 85.5' 1C CP. I crawled under his low mileage 86' 9L and found the sway bar links are similar to the E6ZZ service kit, but not exact (different finish). The kit that Mark has posted appears to be closer to what is on the 9L pictured. Would like to know what the part number is on Mark's kit???

The 86' 9L is VIN T2GF243983, which places it as a late March, early April build.

Therefore, sometime during the MY 86', the sway bar bolts, nuts, and washers changed from phosphate to zinc dichromate. Need to inspect a few cars in the Jan-April time frame to determine when the approximate change occurred.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:48:36 PM by bluemax »