Author Topic: Battery Rebuild Writeup  (Read 13513 times)

Offline rrenz

Re: Battery Rebuild Writeup
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
Interesting that this post popped back up. I was just reading through all of the battery threads trying to decide on a battery. Need a Group 24 for my 66 coupe. Have never heard anything good about these batteries. My Exide has begun to leak and is quite old. Looking to get rid of the topper and get a reproduction battery. Has there been any kind of advancements with these things at all? Can anyone suggest which is better? Antique auto battery or restoration battery? I read a thread on the NCRS forum I believe about how someone had to warranty their restoration battery and were told to contact antique auto battery. Are these companies affiliated somehow?
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
Restoration is no longer in this business.  Antique Auto Battery is the only source.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
Bringing up this old post, I have already gutted my old repo battery and looking for a battery to put in it. Can someone who has done it recently recommend a good wheel chair AGM batteryor other type to use?

Thanks,
Russell
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 11:30:56 AM »
The last two I did I have used a Renegade Wicked Start motorcycle battery.  It has more CCA than a wheelchair battery.  It is a bit too tall for the gutted case so the bottom has to be cut out to lower the top a little.  I then glue a piece of masonite on the bottom to be able to lift the battery by the top.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 11:34:46 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »
Thanks,  DO you recall the model number of the battery? Also what gauge wire did you use to go between the 2 batteries?
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
I have been looking for my ordering info but no luck so far.  I am away from home so that makes it more difficult.  You may just have to figure it out from the dimensions.  They advertise 660 CCA but I am skeptical.

EDIT:  Here is link to what I am using.  I don't know why the link is so tiny but if you click it will open. They say unavailable until December.

https://powersportbatteries.com/harley-davidson-motorcycle-batteries/21746-harley-davidson-66010-97c-30ah-600cca-motorcycle-battery-upgrade.html

As far as the cables, I use welding cables because they are quite flexible.  Maybe this will help.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:13:58 PM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:29 PM »
Thank you

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 11:41:13 PM »
That's very cool, and a great way to re-use an old repro battery!

But jeez, how long do we have to wait for someone to just repop a G27 battery topper?  >.<
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
Although I suggested a Deka battery earlier, the go-to battery in racing circles for extreme duty is the Odyssey battery. Very high power to size.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 04:52:51 PM »
Bill
I have heard people mention using the Odyssey before and also a Miata battery, but I have yet to find either that were small enough to go inside the case.  Would love some details if you or anyone else have done this with an Odyssey.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
Just an FYI you can find cables already made up with terminal ends on them from Amazon.

Still researching batteries, what is the lowest cranking amps that is safe to use?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
I believe this has come up in another thread but if you want to retrofit another battery into an ALREADY GUTTED case,, call Va. CLASSIC MUSTANG.
://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/mobile/Autolite-Battery-Case-Only-Group-24-P482620.aspx

I will add that she said it was the last one but my guess is that more can be ordered.
These Dummy Hull battery cases cost about $200 ONE TIME.
The one I received, had the top lid hot-glued on but the box it arrived in stated UNGLUED WITH TERMINALS.

TURBO START  made these, Turbostart also sells batteries that fit inside for about $220 (with a 3yr. Warranty).
S12V975 for example. It measures 5.3"x7.9"?6.7"
(the empty shell measures 6"x9.5"x7" deep INSIDE)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:18:00 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gimmea250swb

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2023, 11:47:58 AM »
My autolite finally gave up. Could someone recommend a good internal battery on the market now? My old battery had something like this, but it was unlabeled.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CLPOQM?linkCode=ll1&tag=batteryequivalents-20&linkId=1dbab1bb299d25c14fdb6a33eb511da5&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&th=1

How do you guys keep a charge? I kept mine on a trickle charger not knowing there was an internal battery and wonder if that?s what killed it.
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2023, 01:40:22 PM »
I think the last one I used was the link below.  Going from memory so double check the dimensions.  It is slightly too tall unless you cut the bottom out of the case.  I cut the bottom just big enough for the battery so there was some case left around it and glued a piece of Masonite to the bottom of the case.  This provided enough room for the battery and also kept it from shifting around in the case.

http://www.azbatterystore.com/product.cgi?group=7827&product=27546
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline hopey

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »
Having seen guys on the forum here do a rebuild, I thought I would do similar but with a modern lithium 12V automotive/motorcycle/ATV batteries plus incorporate a remote disconnect.

1. Empty and dispose of old acid from your battery. Use baking soda mixed with water to neutralize what's left in the case. Honestly this was the hardest messiest part, took over a week for the battery to stop fizzing. Do it in a well ventilated area.

2. Carefully cut around the outside of the battery just below the top flange. I used a cheap Japanese pull saw, $7 at harbor freight. Did a great job minimal mess.

3. Using a paint scraper and hammer, cut through the lead connections and plastic between cells before you can remove the top. Try and avoid damage to the two main battery posts as you need these later.

4. Gut your battery. Pliers and wood chisels are an easy way to break off and clean away the plastic dividers between cells.

5. Go to Walmart or your local battery store and get a lithium 12V battery. I managed to find a 700A one at Walmart on clearance that just fits inside- height being my limitation. These are very light, I'm guessing less than a couple lbs. Note most modern automotive/motorcycle lithium batteries have an inbuilt Battery Management System BMS. My charging system is modern alternator and voltage regulator internals installed in concours housings. Make sure your charging system output meets the requirement of the lithium battery BMS.

6. I installed a plastic retainer to hold my battery. I used a 3/8 thick plastic sheet from hardware store and JB plastic weld to hold it in place.

7. I ordered some welding cable and lugs from Amazon. I also purchased a remote disconnect solenoid that was small enough to fit inside the battery case.

8. Installed battery, wired it up and tested all ok. Hardest part is drilling and tapping the original battery posts on the underside to accept battery cable connection.

9. Used JB plastic weld install plastic threaded inserts inside battery and used plastic threaded screws from local hardware store to secure the battery top- I did it through the outside two fill caps so they would be hidden.

10. Ran a bead of black silicone around the top and secured it all in place.
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn