Author Topic: AC smells bad  (Read 7379 times)

Offline ruppstang

AC smells bad
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
Our 98 has a strong musty smell when you first turn it on. This year has no cabin filter. Is there some way to clean the plenum with out dissembling it? 
Thanks Marty

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: AC smells bad
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
your ford dealer should have some sort of 'kit' to remedy this problem.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
Once clean it is good practice to turn off the AC or defrost (which also operates the compressor) and leaving the blower on in vent mode about a minute before shutting down the system. This stops the collection of condensate in the case and airflow reduces moisture content.  A wet system with no airflow promotes mold growth.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
There's a product called 'Ozium' that I have used with good results.  Can buy it in auto parts store or other places.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
Thanks guys I will check it out.
Marty

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
I tried a home remedy that seems to have worked. I bought a can of Lysol spray started the car selected normal AC turned the fan on hi, cracked the windows and sprayed the Lysol in the cowl vent. I did this for about 20 minutes. So far it has worked.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
I tried a home remedy that seems to have worked. I bought a can of Lysol spray started the car selected normal AC turned the fan on hi, cracked the windows and sprayed the Lysol in the cowl vent. I did this for about 20 minutes. So far it has worked.

I'm dealing with this on a Ford Ranger pickup we bought recently to fix up and resell.  The previous owner bought it new and smoked cigars.  The interior literally reeks of cigar smoke, to the point that my wife won't ride in it.  With the windows down, the truck airs out a bit, but the minute it has to sit with the windows up, the smell comes out all over again.  A local detailer here in town recommended a product called A/C Line Deoderizer.  Advance Auto and probably Autozone carry it; it's in a lime green and white can.  I believe you do like Marty said and spray it in the vents while the A/C is running.  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on giving it a shot soon.   :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:35:36 AM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
The previous owner bought it new and smoked cigars.  The interior literally reeks of cigar smoke, to the point that my wife won't ride in it. 
It's more than the A/C. The smoke has penetrated porous items in the interior, and settled on other surfaces. You are going to have to replace the carpets, seats, headliner, dash pad, door panels and paint everything else.
You will also have a new appreciation of those little obnoxious fir tree deodorizers hanging from rear view mirrors.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
It's more than the A/C. The smoke has penetrated porous items in the interior, and settled on other surfaces. You are going to have to replace the carpets, seats, headliner, dash pad, door panels and paint everything else.
You will also have a new appreciation of those little obnoxious fir tree deodorizers hanging from rear view mirrors.
Jim

Oh, believe me, I know.  You can take carpet cleaner to just about any surface inside the truck and come away with nasty yellow residue.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline BobV

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
You might try one of the Chlorine Dioxide based products like Starbrite, AutoShocker or AutoVaccine.

My daughter spilled an entire crockpot of chili in her car. After pulling the carpet and thorough cleaning, it still reeked. AutoShocker got rid of the smell - local detailer recommended it, as they use on smoker's cars...
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
Make sure that the drain tube from the case is clear, there might be water trapped inside
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969