Author Topic: Rear Tie Down Brackets  (Read 30984 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Rear Tie Down Brackets
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
The 65 manual does not discriminate on single or duel exhaust. I do not have a 66 body manual to check . The 67,68,and 69 manuals do use verbiage to indicate duel exhaust only . I most likely is a case of slapping them on everthing that came down the line apposed to picking and choosing. I never gave it much thought until I checked the manuals because it has seemed to be non discrimate regardless of the year. We have seen other things disregarded like that . Pinch weld black out  on darker colors, heater shield non removal, engine lift hooks to name a few. Just like those examples mentioned I have seen evidence examples of the tie down sticker on 66-69  single exhaust cars too.   

Maybe this decal situation could be tracked also in this thread (or another thread), as to whether or not they where put on indiscriminately, (for the 67-69's and possibly 66's, at least till somebody checks the assembly manual, for notes on dual exhaust) Like many assembly line variances, there may be periods where at the different plants and time periods that the instructions were followed and other times they were not. Just an idea if others support the research. To me, it doesn't really matter one way or the other especially since it is behind the plate.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
Maybe this decal situation could be tracked also in this thread (or another thread), as to whether or not they where put on indiscriminately, (for the 67-69's and possibly 66's, at least till somebody checks the assembly manual, for notes on dual exhaust) Like many assembly line variances, there may be periods where at the different plants and time periods that the instructions were followed and other times they were not. Just an idea if others support the research. To me, it doesn't really matter one way or the other especially since it is behind the plate.

Richard
The people in the judging community typically do not deduct if the sticker is on the cars or not. The pre delivery process was in theory supposed to remove them but since many didn't and since it is commonly known to be installed on 65-69 cars regardless of single or duel exhaust it is the general practice by all of the judging staff I know not to deduct if installed on a car in a venue or not. location.With this said it renders this somewhat of a non issue IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »
There is one example of a different location for the sticker that I can think of and a article including the stickers would not be complete without mentioning that on a 69/70 Shelby it was placed on the bumper because the license plate area was cut out for a exhaust port at Dearborn plant. Lot pictures show the detail.  In that case no reasonable pre delivery detail would be complete without removing it in that obnoxious location on the chrome because it detracts from the car unlike the hidden behind the plate location. Good history to know but a deduction on the show field as it would have been removed almost for a certainty to make the car look it's best for a customer. Of course anomalies happen which reasonable proof for a extra ordinary detail would be expected. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Maybe this decal situation could be tracked also in this thread (or another thread), as to whether or not they where put on indiscriminately, (for the 67-69's and possibly 66's, at least till somebody checks the assembly manual, for notes on dual exhaust) ........

As we've mentioned in the past there is no way to know if that notation remained in the manual for a day or 10 (for example) months since we only have the few pages Jim was able to assemble and were clear enough to use. Like noted in  the TSB's Ford often made a change only to reverse or change their mind weeks or months later.  One example is spark plugs on certain engines

Where it works is when we find documentation and original examples that agree (as best they can with very limited variations from time to time)  on the same detail
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »
I started a new thread with a write up so we can easily find this information in the future....thanks for everyone's input here. 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10724.0

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Dudley

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »
Excellent job, and my thank you for including the picture of my car.  Dudley
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
in jeffs post #44, does the “third” bolt going into the bottom of the framerail always have a washer?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »
in jeffs post #44, does the “third” bolt going into the bottom of the framerail always have a washer?

Considering your earlier posts and your assumed focus I take it that your asking in reference to 66 San Jose.  In that case yes I've always seen a washer used on the bolt that enters/ attaches to the bottom of the rear frame rail
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
For those with 69 dual exhaust (Shelby GT500 2.25" pipes) that the brackets got left on (did they?) are there any interference issues with the rear springs, exhaust pipes and exhaust hangers? That's a lot of equipment back there. Looks like I'm going to have to swap mine and hopefully do so w/o losing too much skin from my knuckles.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
For those with 69 dual exhaust (Shelby GT500 2.25" pipes) that the brackets got left on (did they?) are there any interference issues with the rear springs, exhaust pipes and exhaust hangers? .................

Yes there were interference issues as well as customer complaints about rattles and noise associated with leaving them in place - especially on dual exhaust cars. There are comments in dealerships discussions with Ford, TSB's and so on related to the subject that is the reason the label was attached to most cars referencing their removal

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:49:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
Considering your earlier posts and your assumed focus I take it that your asking in reference to 66 San Jose.  In that case yes I've always seen a washer used on the bolt that enters/ attaches to the bottom of the rear frame rail
Yes, but what kind. My two San Jose Oct 65 builds had a split trapezoid lock washers (34783-S2, 7/16LKW, SPT, 0.446-0.464ID, 0.784OD, 0.121/0.091T, TPZ).
As documentation for the tie down brackets is not available, and this was an area that quality was primarily interested in "does it work", and not "does it look good", almost anything can be found.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
............ and this was an area that quality was primarily interested in "does it work", and not "does it look good", almost anything can be found.

Not sure that I agree with "almost anything can be found"  :) Maybe after 50 years but on the line there would have been hardware provided in bulk so that would limit what would have been used on the line. In my experience I have found that much variation on the washers at that location nor do pictures suggest it.  Just what I've seen and have available.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
Yes, but what kind. My two San Jose Oct 65 builds had a split trapezoid lock washers (34783-S2, 7/16LKW, SPT, 0.446-0.464ID, 0.784OD, 0.121/0.091T, TPZ).
As documentation for the tie down brackets is not available, and this was an area that quality was primarily interested in "does it work", and not "does it look good", almost anything can be found.
Jim
Flat washer typically.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »
Yes there were interference issues as well as customer complaints about rattles and noise associated with leaving them in place - especially on dual exhaust cars. There are comments in dealerships discussions with Ford, TSB's and so on related to the subject That is the reason the label was attached to most cars referencing their removal

AO Smith cut out that area of the rear valance for the exhaust outlet, so did they apply new/replacement stickers in the fold down plate area?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2018, 10:23:54 PM »
AO Smith cut out that area of the rear valance for the exhaust outlet, so did they apply new/replacement stickers in the fold down plate area?

For the 69 - 70 Shelbys

I don't believe there is a general understanding at this time as to if they were  added after the conversions or simple left off. There was a period of time were some though that they were attached over the rear bumper but not sure that trend of thought continues to this day.

I've never seen a period picture that shows one visible on the finished car
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:01:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle