Author Topic: Information on the Competition Handling Package  (Read 13042 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Information on the Competition Handling Package
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
Jeff it appears that I was wrong on the 1.125 sway bar on mine.  I am including picture you requested of it.  It just under or over 1 inch in Dia. 

Adjustable "E"’s were shocks made by the Gabriel Shock Company in the 60's and 70's that were three way adjustable and 1.625 inches in dia.  Since my original shocks were the same color (white) and adjustable, I am assuming that Ford used that shock.  There were no markings on my shocks to indicate that was the case.  During this time period Gabriel was the only shock company that made a shock that was 1.625 inches in dia. too.  Monroe and other private label manufactures only made the traditional 1 inch shocks. It would have been a lot cheaper for Ford to buy them from Gabriel then build shocks to use on 2,000 plus vehicles (Mustangs and Shelby's).  Since others are saying CHP vehicles are Ford's version of the Shelby suspension wise.  I will assume they had them too.

It was I that pointed out that the 1.125 (you said 1 1/8) was not factory and that 15/16 (slightly smaller then 1 inch) was factory on a CHP car. I have to point out that you are misinformed again like you were on the sway bar if you think the white colored Gabriel adjustable shocks were original. Those were over the counter Gabriel Strider adjustable shocks made for the after market. Gabriel was a OEM supplier and made Shocks to Fords specs and stamped them with Ford engineering numbers with the FOMOCO and or Autolite trademark in exactly the same way that Goodyear and Gates marked the Ford belts and Ford radiator hoses as a example. The FOMOCO or Autolite marked Gabriel adjustable shocks(depending on when car was built) were painted black for all of 67 production . These shocks came on all 67 Shelby's so we have seen a lot. You are misinformed on your production numbers also because there were 3225 67 Shelby's built ,all with adjustable shocks . This does not include the amount of 67 Mustangs with the CHP that were built. Front adjustable shock with Ford engineering number pictured. Rears have similar markings.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline qman

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
I would have to agree with Bob on the shock issue.  I'm holding in my hand the same shock as is pictured and the one I'm holding came off my 67 k code comp. suspension car.
The statement of vehicle sales from North Brothers Ford in Garden City Mi. states 650/670x15spt. and the Marti shows them to be black side wall tires.  My car came with a 3.50 open rear end.

Hope this helps. 
Qman

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »
I would have to agree with Bob on the shock issue.  I'm holding in my hand the same shock as is pictured and the one I'm holding came off my 67 k code comp. suspension car.
The statement of vehicle sales from North Brothers Ford in Garden City Mi. states 650/670x15spt. and the Marti shows them to be black side wall tires.  My car came with a 3.50 open rear end.

Hope this helps. 
Qman
The vast majority of 67 Shelby's came with a open rear end . Just to restate- all 67 Shelby's came with competition suspension. With that information stated apparently the "equa-lock rear end" was not mandatory on the CHP package as has been inplied in another post . Just one more mis conception debunked.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
SNIP . . .  "The FOMOCO or Autolite marked Gabriel adjustable shocks(depending on when car was built) were painted black for all of 67 production.

Bob -- Do you know when the split of FOMOCO to Autolite occurred? Is this another early/late issue with a "depends" date or is there an approximate VIN split?

Other than color and markings are the Gabriel adjustables identical in physical attributes?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
Bob -- Do you know when the split of FOMOCO to Autolite occurred? Is this another early/late issue with a "depends" date or is there an approximate VIN split?

Other than color and markings are the Gabriel adjustables identical in physical attributes?
The FOMOCO marked shocks were phased out right after 67 production started. For instance 67 0001 had one FOMOCO shock and one Autolite  in the rear. That indicates to me that the phasing out started from the beginning of production and converted completely over to only the Autolite marked shock shortly after production started. The assemblyline shocks were identical to the Gabriel adjustable of that time period. The over the counter Gabriel shocks changed in appearance as time went on.  With that said even though a later version might not have all of the physical attributes besides the markings of the assemblyline ,they are still the next best thing. Of course there is a guy that takes non adjustable shocks of the correct shape and engraves the correct markings on them for a convincing original appearance. I think they are about 1700.00 a set for those.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »
Maybe the Boss won't mind if I steal the Gabriel Adjustables I put on there a decade ago.
I think there is 500 miles on them.
Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
I'm fairly certain these sway bar mounts are peculiar to the competition package with their rolled over sides. They were with all my other Shelby parts, but we know that's not definitive.

CHP?

What is the finish? After removing the tar undercoat -- which actually saved a lot of my parts from the weather -- I'm seeing bare steel. A tumbled finish?

[the wet look is Stoddard solvent]
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
I'm fairly certain these sway bar mounts are peculiar to the competition package with their rolled over sides. They were with all my other Shelby parts, but we know that's not definitive.

Competition package and other cars with the 15/16th bar. Boss 429's are similar in design also. Scott Fuller makes a truthful reproduction of these.

What is the finish? After removing the tar undercoat -- which actually saved a lot of my parts from the weather -- I'm seeing bare steel. A tumbled finish?

Bar fresh steel.
Tumbler will work - other methods will also. Of course if they are badly pitted time to consider other choices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
Scott's parts are very nice. Gives me a good benchmark for how this part would look new.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Bill