Author Topic: Battery Ok Decal - Oct 64 San Jose  (Read 5503 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Battery Ok Decal - Oct 64 San Jose
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »
So I want to fill out my own decal that sits near the starter solenoid.  What would the typical charge reading be for the battery on a car with AC?  The ones that come filled out appear to be 1.27 but I don't know if that is correct.  Also what would the approximate date stamp be on it?  Couple of days after the schedule build date?  For instance mine has a build date 10/29/64, and the owner's manual is stamped it was sold new on 11/6/64.  Some where in between there?   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:51:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Battery Ok Decal - Oct 64 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
Chris your asking about a San Jose built car - correct?

Since the answers are going to be different for some of these things
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:51:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Yes, and also forgot to include the engine is a 289 A code...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:52:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »
Note - fixed the header of the thread ;)

Engine size doesn't have a bearing but thanks for including that

So I want to fill out my own decal that sits near the starter solenoid.  What would the typical charge reading be for the battery on a car with AC?  The ones that come filled out appear to be 1.27 but I don't know if that is correct.

Depends on what machine and how it was calibrated (what scale) it used. But it appears that on some of the stickers there is a dot indicating that they used the one that (for example) would ahve produced the 1.27 your referring to rather than 12.7 seen when using other tools of the time period. Allot of the stickers I've seen appear that the inspector never took the time to place the "dot"  or it has not held up to the test of time and the elements.

Looking at originals, on the ones that are clear enough, it appears the range was between 1.25 and 1.27 normally

Also what would the approximate date stamp be on it?  Couple of days after the schedule build date?  For instance mine has a build date 10/29/64, and the owner's manual is stamped it was sold new on 11/6/64.  Some where in between there?

These would normally IMHO match the date the car was completed on but since its a 65-66 we have not idea when that day really was. Lucky for you that you have at least a date of sale - a solid place to start for a educated guess. I would take the 6th - subtract a day or so for prep at the dealership, Figure out how far it was from the dealership to San Jose and assign hours or days to that purpose. It was pretty common (looking at 67 San Jose information) that a car would sit at San Jose before being released for transportation from one to four days so figure that into the formula.  That should give you at least a rough guess and I would say the best guess based on what we have available today. Of course this is without knowing anything about the sale or dealership.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:17 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the information.  The car was sold at Downey Auto Center in Downey, CA.  I'm guessing it would take a day or so to get there either by truck or rail. 
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the information.  The car was sold at Downey Auto Center in Downey, CA.  I'm guessing it would take a day or so to get there either by truck or rail.

Yes if by trunk then the driver likely had multiple stops and deliveries. If by rail then you have all the paperwork where they were unloaded, checks and then loading onto local trunks for delivery

Number of possible scenarios all that would add time but I would not worry too much - you'll never get it exactly right on the original date unless its by accident :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
Depends on what machine and how it was calibrated (what scale) it used. But it appears that on some of the stickers there is a dot indicating that they used the one that (for example) would ahve produced the 1.27 your referring to rather than 12.7 seen when using other tools of the time period. Allot of the stickers I've seen appear that the inspector never took the time to place the "dot"  or it has not held up to the test of time and the elements.

Looking at originals, on the ones that are clear enough, it appears the range was between 1.25 and 1.27 normally

Readings around 1.25 are the specific gravity of the battery acid, measured with a hydrometer. For batteries (and for checking coolant in radiators), the syringe-type is used. There are hydrometers that are immersed, but they can't be easily used in a battery or a radiator.

Specific gravity of the acid changes with charge, as does voltage, so they can both be used to check a battery. What's a bit confusing is that with a 12V battery the voltage is numerically about 10x the specific gravity, which makes it look like a misplaced decimal point.

What I don't know is: were batteries always checked for specific gravity, or were some measured with a voltmeter? Were batteries installed at the factory, or at the dealership after delivery? If the battery inspection was performed at the dealerships, was the label applied by the dealer, or at the factory and left blank? Did all dealerships use a standard stamp design to mark the "Badge" column, or did they each use whatever they wanted?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
the battery had to be installed at the plant in order to drive the unit off the line.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »
What I don't know is: were batteries always checked for specific gravity, or were some measured with a voltmeter?

Specific gravity - as would be normal practice at the time. Don't recall ever using a volt meter to check a battery with a voltmeter in the 60's or early 70s when working at service stations or repair shops

Were batteries installed at the factory, or at the dealership after delivery?  If the battery inspection was performed at the dealerships, ........

It was done at the assembly plant as carlite65 wrote
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:21:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
ok so thanks for the info on the date.  My car was built oct 8 1964.  So I will guess a date a few days around there.  Also  are these stamped for thei nstpection  ?  I know all plants are different.  I could order a completed decal from ESC, but I don't want to spend the money
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »
My car was built oct 8 1964.

Since that is really the 'scheduled' build date, there is no exact science to this.  Looking at the sheet metal dates and component dates throughout the car can give an idea of just how close the actual build date was to the scheduled date.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
I know all plants are different.

And sometimes by year - sticker design changes also ;)

I could order a completed decal from ESC, but I don't want to spend the money

Since you know that they are different from plant to plant you'll know that the filled out on from ESC is not correct for your cars year or plant  - think the cost itself is small considering all the more expensive things that have been or will be done on the car
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »

Since you know that they are different from plant to plant you'll know that the filled out on from ESC is not correct for your cars year or plant  - think the cost itself is small considering all the more expensive things that have been or will be done on the car

well if the ESC stickers aren't filled out correctly for the plant, then why pay the money?  I would rather scibble some random date and put a happy face stamp on the tag, and save the money
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:34:06 PM »
well if the ESC stickers aren't filled out correctly for the plant, then why pay the money?  I would rather scibble some random date and put a happy face stamp on the tag, and save the money

Was looking at it as two individual thoughts as the sentences were structured/written. Looked to be two separate issues

"I know all plants are different.  "

"I could order a completed decal from ESC, but I don't want to spend the money"

Also the material they are made from is different from original - like many reproduction. But of course most owners don't want to buy a sticker that will look terrible or at least aged 6-12 months later
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
Was looking at it as two individual thoughts as the sentences were structured/written. Looked to be two separate issues

"I know all plants are different.  "

"I could order a completed decal from ESC, but I don't want to spend the money"

Also the material they are made from is different from original - like many reproduction. But of course most owners don't want to buy a sticker that will look terrible or at least aged 6-12 months later

oh I see so the info would be correct but the material the sticker is made of is wrong...