Author Topic: Cowl Paint Blackout Process - 69 Dearborn Cougar  (Read 2688 times)

Offline 69eliminator

Cowl Paint Blackout Process - 69 Dearborn Cougar
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
Can anyone comment on the steps to paint the cowl vent area on my 1969 Cougar. I have read on the forum that the cowl area is typically blacked out but mine was painted the body color. Please see the photos with the gaskets that were sprayed on the cowl area and later removed showing the black primer. Was that common and if so should I black out the area under the cowl vent as the original photos show? It is hard to decipher whether factory applied or by PO because the PO had painted the exterior black.
Thanks for any help or comments.
Best,
Brian
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:54:39 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Cowl Paint Blackout Process
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
When you have a BEFORE photo that good, and know to go to the lengths to spray the window stopper inner support ............then feel comfortable to duplicate the "black out" (basically below the windshield and around the cowl vents the same way.   

You can see they didn't kill themselves to COVER the area 100% (and on a Yellow car to boot) !     
I would do a better job in the inner cowl though (especially being yellow).   After all only you will know that the pattern is under the upper cowl - BUT everyone can see into that space and the yellow will jump out IMO.

Mark
P.S.   (don't forget the A Pillars get blacked out/under the trim)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Thanks for the help Mark,

It is hard to tell from your before  photo but it looks like your car has body color in the lower cowl and red oxide where the grate would be. IYO should  I be spraying both of these areas with trim black? If you look close at the bolt that holds the wiper in place the black seems to go around the bolt and not under it which led me to believe the PO might have painted area while spray painting entire body black.

Thanks for the help clarifying on the correct process. As always the help is greatly appreciated. And thanks for the tip to remember spraying the A pillars. i would have forgot!!!

brian
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
Just found these two photos. Assuming I should replicate as depicted?

I would appreciate any feedback

thanks all
Dearborn 6/69

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
Should have included the disclaimer "my car isn't an Eliminator/Mach 1"

My car is a Sportsroof Mustang - between the fact that it didn't have BLACK on the hood (read not overspray though the grill slats) and not a Mercury where the paint may have been applied better - just for reference.

I THINK you have the best pallet in that you have before photos.  Restoration is a forensic art IMO.   I document and duplicate what I find on disassembly.
MUCH easier to defend after the fact.

Mark
P.S.  Here is a great example.   Line worker must have "just used up all the roll caulk and left under the fender"  (Thus this blob)

So today it is still there. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:59:35 AM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cowl Paint Blackout Process 69 Dearborn Cougar
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
Modified the title since it depends when and where the car was built as to what was done.

Since you did include the fact that it was 69 Eliminator we at least know that its a 69 Dearborn build car but we don't know when.

Would start there ;)

Also there is the possibility that Mustangs were dealt with differently
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)