Author Topic: J Code Convert Mustang tear down - 1/4 Panel  (Read 2704 times)

mac1971

J Code Convert Mustang tear down - 1/4 Panel
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:15:13 AM »
Interesting find today as I finished removing the convertible roof assembly. I noticed a piece of paper stuck in between the 1/4 panel and outer wheel house (at the top). Upon pulling it out, found it to be the Ford label attached to the "new" 1/4 panel that was replaced previously on the car. Two things learned today: That an original Ford 1/4 panel was used in the replacement, nice... and the approximate year the panel was replaced. Based on the info found on this label, it was shipped to a Ford dealer in Tucson AZ 12/08/76 (Is this December 8, 1976 or August 12, 1976?).

I knew the 1/4 had been replaced previously and that it was done a long time ago based on the wear shown today. I now know the year it was done. Unfortunately, the install of the panel isn't quite to the standard it should have been completed to. This will be addressed further when on the rotisserie. Neat find though, yes? Cheers

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: J Code Convert Mustang tear down - 1/4 Panel
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:20:09 AM »
Interesting find today as I finished removing the convertible roof assembly. I noticed a piece of paper stuck in between the 1/4 panel and outer wheel house (at the top). Upon pulling it out, found it to be the Ford label attached to the "new" 1/4 panel that was replaced previously on the car. Two things learned today: That an original Ford 1/4 panel was used in the replacement, nice... and the approximate year the panel was replaced. Based on the info found on this label, it was shipped to a Ford dealer in Tucson AZ 12/08/76 (Is this December 8, 1976 or August 12, 1976?).

I knew the 1/4 had been replaced previously and that it was done a long time ago based on the wear shown today. I now know the year it was done. Unfortunately, the install of the panel isn't quite to the standard it should have been completed to. This will be addressed further when on the rotisserie. Neat find though, yes? Cheers
FYI the date on the label and the date of the repair doesn't necessarily mean the two are close in time. There are many times that a piece of sheet metal had dates shipped and then sat in inventory for extended periods of time before being used or sold. Other times sheet metal may have been in other peoples possession sometimes for many years before being used . I sold a friend a quarter for a 65/66 that was dated in the early 70's but was installed last week. The next owner maybe a couple years from now may find the label like you did and think it was installed in the early 70's from the date on the label and all the while it was done recently. Just saying you can't used the label date as a reliable reference to pin point a repair.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »
Nice find though. at least you know it was a Ford panel. Mine are all Dynacorn.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
Based on the info found on this label, it was shipped to a Ford dealer in Tucson AZ 12/08/76 (Is this December 8, 1976 or August 12, 1976?).

December 8th.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
FYI the date on the label and the date of the repair doesn't necessarily mean the two are close in time. There are many times that a piece of sheet metal had dates shipped and then sat in inventory for extended periods of time before being used or sold. Other times sheet metal may have been in other peoples possession sometimes for many years before being used . I sold a friend a quarter for a 65/66 that was dated in the early 70's but was installed last week. The next owner maybe a couple years from now may find the label like you did and think it was installed in the early 70's from the date on the label and all the while it was done recently. Just saying you can't used the label date as a reliable reference to pin point a repair.

+1

December 8th.

+1

You have narrowed it down to somewhere between the oldest known date you have ever seen this car with the quarter panel attached and the December 8, 1976 date found on the sticker.  (you may deduct time for the estimated age of the repair work) Nothing is concrete as Bob suggested.  If an actual date is needed for any reason, a bit more detective work would be required. It is doubtful that records of "parts sales" would be available at the selling dealership of the replacement panel but that could be a start. Previous owner records or statements could be another source of history.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »
Lot of work there - keep with it.

When you get the the radiator support you might find a different way to strip the paint since a sanding disc will wipe out any original remains of factory writing that may still be there  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
Jeff, Do you know approx. where this writing may be on the support? Thanks

Don't want to lead the witness ;)

If I suggest one area and the worker that day moved it 6 inches down and to the left you might not find it.

Look across the whole radiator support face to be sure. Then if you find something - trace, take pictures, remark it and take pictures again. 

Most likely will be between the bare metal and black paint.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)