Author Topic: Dismantle remote exterior mirror  (Read 6816 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Dismantle remote exterior mirror
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 06:58:08 AM »
Sorry for reheating this topic, but I want to finalize the whole mirror assembly.
But would it be correct if my date for the rear view mirror is "1-DM1-7"
since my car was built on the 12Th of January?
I saw also the other thread (http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14964.msg93253#msg93253)
And for being sure... is it 'DM1' or 'DMI' in the middle of the date code?

Can also somebody be so kind to give me the overall length and height of the date code?
Then I can ask at the glass shop for inscribing the date on the new glass.

thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Jeroen

I would think your mirror's date ought to be a few weeks, not more than about a month ahead of your actual build date on your example. Assembly at the plants was still in full swing at that time frame so I doubt the date would be as much as 8 weeks before. (Translated: You ought to have a mid-December to VERY early January date for your car's assembly date)

You might look into other threads on "windshield etching" "window etching" or "glass etching" since many people have done this to obtain date code correct glass for their projects. I imagine a similar technique could be adapted to the mirror glass too. Matching the font type and size would be the hardest part if you do not have a similar example to use as a guide.

I am interested in this idea to "date stamp" your mirror. I would consider doing it also if it works out. Old mirror glass, even if you find the correct date or already have one, USUALL isn't in very good condition after 50 years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:01:18 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:51 PM »
If one were to spend time focusing on doing the dating one might consider using a technique that uses clay or silicon and acid. A stamp is used to make the impression in the the clay.

Was a process used at least 30 years ago to reproduce markings on door and other glass on restored car

Just a thought and a possibility
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
After removing only the mirror glass panel from the metal cable-connection panel on an original drivers side mirror, I discovered the date code etching is within the "silvering" layer of the mirror.

I installed JUST the dated glass into a reproduction mirror assembly and side-by side to the original FoMoCo one, besides the pitting on the original one and no numbers on the base of the aftermarket one...I think it passes muster very nicely ;) Thanks everyone for combined wisdom ;)  The 3rd picture is of the original glass (just the date-coded glass) after being installed into the new reproduction mirror assembly and the next 2 pictures are of a side-by side of the original with this re-pop mirror. (FWIW, The new mirror I used was an 'old stock' Scott Drake mirror I bought many years ago from somebody selling leftover parts on ebay.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:53:31 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments