Author Topic: Repro Battery  (Read 7908 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Repro Battery
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
I noticed the new NPD catalog did not list the Autolite reproduction battery but Virginia Mustang still has it listed on their website.  Is it still being reproduced or are they going to stop soon? 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Repro Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »
The company or companies that make reproduction batteries should all be out of business for selling an over priced boat anchor. I went through 2 in one year and never again. The batteries look nice but if you need to start the car forget about it.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:53 PM »
I noticed the new NPD catalog did not list the Autolite reproduction battery but Virginia Mustang still has it listed on their website.  Is it still being reproduced or are they going to stop soon?
Not much profit margin from what I understand. Virginia has it drop shipped from MFG. One MFG stopped making them . Only one MFG now I think .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:32:39 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »
The company or companies that make reproduction batteries should all be out of business for selling an over priced boat anchor. I went through 2 in one year and never again. The batteries look nice but if you need to start the car forget about it.
I would suspect other usage issues at work only because there are many who successfully ( myself included ) use them trouble free for years. With that said they are not near as durable it seems to it's generic counterpart. For example If you let them go dead or almost dead once they are never the same again and don't last long after that . You have to keep them on a tender if you want a extended life IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
The batteries look nice but if you need to start the car forget about it.
Unfortunate but true. I had three Mustangs (one 65 Fastback, 2 66 Fastbacks) with reproduction Autolite type 27 batteries and they lasted about two-three years. The local Excide Battery guy was blunt, you need to drive the cars almost every day to keep that type of battery charged. That's the big secret. I thought a trickle charger would help, it didn't. I currently use a $100 battery with a 48 month warranty instead of a $250 battery with a 90 day warranty in each car. Economics 101.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline AIRDRIVERUSA

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 02:12:25 AM »
jac, Bob and Chris...

I do not know if this will help or not but check this web site out.  I believe he gives you a 4 year warranty on battery and they actually look all original.  Hope it helps.

Regards

http://www.restorationbattery.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:37 AM »
jac, Bob and Chris...

I do not know if this will help or not but check this web site out.  I believe he gives you a 4 year warranty on battery and they actually look all original.  Hope it helps.

Regards

http://www.restorationbattery.com
Thanks .the is one i have never seen. gives a pretty good warranty .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:36:31 AM »
.................they actually look all original. .........

Well at least for the 68 and up cars ;)

Anyone try one?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
I too have gone through 2 of the repro batteries trying to keep my car looking somewhat authentic, the last one finally died......so we would use a common battery to start the car, then put the dead repro in at shows.....

I got tired of that and am NOT showing in MCA classes anymore, so I just recently bought the "Better/Best" topper that is on the market, and an EXCIDE battery group 24F in, of all places HOME DEPOT!!

IT HAS the gusset for the original '65 style hold-down bracket!!

I cut off the fabric carry strap, peeled all the stickers off of it, put it in, put the topper on it, hooked it up, and NEVER in 7 years have had the engine turn over so fast!!

40 month FREE REPLACEMENT!!

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »
This past summer I needed to replace ours and had been following these threads and everyone's thoughts, experiences, etc. Decided that until they come out with a more accurate Group 24 or 22, especially the all important top markings and text component associated there, I wasn't going to spend the money. I looked all over the local area for at least one that had the lower lip for the hold-down bracket and as was mentioned, found an Exide Group 24 at Home Depot was the only one, ~$100. So on went the fake topper, peeled off that side decal (very easy), the new and improved clamp with that tab from Virginia went on a bit later, and that's what we're goin' with, as they say. I will remain jealous on how good those batteries still look though at the shows....
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:47:39 AM »
May be Excide should make a correct repro group 22F, 24F and 27F ??

There are other batteries on the market that still have the gusset, but they are few and far between.

Time will tell on the life with the Excides......40 month free replacement.......I've also got 2 group 65s in my 7.3 Diesel F350........

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
I sure wish they'd consider it. They must have been making batteries for Napa at some point in time too. The battery I replaced had a case that was an identical match with the 7+ year old battery I'd bought new at Napa on the move up to Washington. Naturally, Napa no longer had the same ones, or even had a lip for the bracket on the current 24F's. I thought 7 years out of a battery wasn't too bad though.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »
I needed to replace mine a couple of years ago and notice that O'reilly and AutoZone group 24 batteries were missing the lower lip for the batery hold down.  Of course the tried to push the generic over the top hold down which I declined.  I don't like the way those look on the early cars.  Pep Boys have a Bosch battery that has the lower lip as well.  That little lip is very important.  I've seen what happens when the battery isn't held down properly.  It can shift, fall on the alternator blade and then the blade chews through the battery spreading acid all over the engine bay.  Happened to my dad's 65 GT fastback.  It was a mess..
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
... That little lip is very important.  I've seen what happens when the battery isn't held down properly.  It can shift, fall on the alternator blade and then the blade chews through the battery spreading acid all over the engine bay. 

Yep, been there, seen that...On my brother's 66 many moons ago he went too fast over a set or RR tracks...NOT PRETTY, I played "clean-up crew" on that one. :(
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »
For 64-66, go to National Parts Depot - https://www.npdlink.com/store/ and call up bracket 10718-2A. You will also need 10718-2A, top piece, and 10756-1K, bolt kit. It's all bolt on, you will need a 1/4-20X1/2 bolt to attach the bracket to the battery tray. I've used them for years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.