Author Topic: Another use for JB Weld - Heater Box Repair  (Read 1846 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Another use for JB Weld - Heater Box Repair
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
I am new to using JB Weld.....I don't usually have good luck with adhesives.  Anyhow I have been rebuilding a heater box in a 67 Metuchen coupe.  The edges of the heater box where the clip attaches were broken at several locations.  I used a flat screwdriver and built-up the edge with several small applications of JB Weld.  I am not sure how it is going to work out, but it looks pretty good.  When the clip is installed, the gray epoxy will be hidden.  Thought I would share.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Another use for JB Weld - Heater Box Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
Maybe you missed the thread on how to (how NOT to) take those clips off? Usually the cause for those areas to be broken off is what looks like an easy job to remove the spring clips and it really IS, but it is also really easy to do it incorrectly too.

When you take these off, you wish to insert the screwdriver into the fold-over of the spring clip, not between the clip and the heater box. A picture might be work a thousand words here but you flex the spring clip this way, which actually lengthens the clip a bit, just enough to un-hinge it away from the heater box.

Possibly if you try not "snapping" the clips back on, you might not also snap off your JB weld. Hope this helps.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
The case was already broken from previous repairs.  Just cleaning up someone's mess.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
Good idea. Let us know if it works.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.