Author Topic: 5R07C13xxxx - The finished product  (Read 3563 times)

Offline tvor

5R07C13xxxx - The finished product
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
Hi all,
First, I want to thank you all for the help I received on this site.  It sure got me thru some head scratching moments  :D
I still have some minor items to finish up, along with finalizing the engine compartment, but I'll have those items finished in the next couple of weeks.  My goal was to put the car back as close to original condition.  The only thing missing is the original radio, which I will fix and put back into the car a little later.  Lots of original parts are still on the car - even the door lock knobs!  A lot of the metal bits I had rechromed rather than replace with repops.  Original glass.  Original sheet metal, except for the rear valance.  Original drive train.

BTW, I took my mom for a ride when we went to recreate the only photo I have of her, me and the car.  She loved it... at first...  Then she said "oh, these seats aren't as comfortable as my car...  Then we started driving down the road and she sez  "oh, and it kind of rides hard... (she's used to her Infinity).  I started laughing!  "yeah mom, and there's no air conditioning and no cup holders!"  LOL!  She loves the car and thinks that I did an awesome job on it.  However, she prefers the new cars with all the high-tech gear   ;D

One more BTW, I finished the car the night before a local car show.  We won the trophy for best restoration  8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:31:11 PM by J_Speegle »
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: The finished product
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »
Wow, super nice! Congratulations on a job well done. I especially like the recreated photo of you and your mom.  :)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:43:14 PM »
Looks great...love the color ;)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:11 PM »
The car turned out fantastic, a job well done, love the look with the Cali black plates and vintage plate surround.

Really cool shots of both the car and you/Mom (or Mum how we say down under).

Enjoy your beautiful ride :)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:18:07 AM »
FAR OUT MAN!
Very nice job! ...and the "back-story" how your mother is the first owner, you the 2nd (current)! WILD!

Love the old picture and the recreated picture, ;) just GROOVY!

...and NOTHING of today rides or drives like these classics! (thank goodness!) but NOTHING beats the feel of driving the old rides, listening to old tunes while wearing vintage clothing too! Now, Back to the Future! (ok, present)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:40:58 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
 Very nice! Way cool that you still have the car for so many years and brought it back to it's former glory..........or even better!  BTW, Mom? She looks more like she could be your sister in the latest photo. Tell her 'she's still got it'. Congrats on your show win and Thank You for sharing the story and pics.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
Very cool, congrats!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tvor

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
The car turned out fantastic, a job well done, love the look with the Cali black plates and vintage plate surround.

Thank you!  Those are the original plates AND the original dealer plate frame   :)

I also have the original keys and the little plastic license plate fob that matches the real plates
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline tvor

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
Very nice! Way cool that you still have the car for so many years and brought it back to it's former glory..........or even better!  BTW, Mom? She looks more like she could be your sister in the latest photo. Tell her 'she's still got it'. Congrats on your show win and Thank You for sharing the story and pics.

LOL!  I'l let her know.  I hope to be in such as good a shape when I'm her age.  I still plan on driving the Mustang at that age too!
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
Very nice. You did a great job.
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline tvor

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the compliments on my car.  It took me 20+ years and being retired so I could spend the time I needed to get it how I wanted it.  The poor Mustang also went thru my auto shop years and was the proverbial guinea pig.  We both survived.
Back in the 70's, I wanted a metallic blue paint job to replace the old, faded orange (it sure didn't look like poppy red at the time).  I had that blue sprayed everywhere so that there would be none of the original paint showing.  That was probably my only regret.  Everything else on the car that I changed out, I kept.  Even at 16, I knew that the Mustang was going to be a keeper and to hold onto as much of the original stuff as I could.

BTW, that vintage pic and the recreated one?  It was taken at the same location, roughly 50 years apart (the date on the vintage photo was when the film was developed.  Pic was taken before then).  Mom and I get lots of compliments on those two pics.  I'm just glad she and the car were around for us to do it   :) .  One of these days I'll talk her into taking it out for a spin...
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
Nice work.  I'm jealous if you did it yourself.  I wish I had the talent to do that.

Offline tvor

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
Nice work.  I'm jealous if you did it yourself.  I wish I had the talent to do that.

I did everything except the headliner, upholstery and paint (which includes any bodywork for warranty purposes).  I did strip it all down to bare metal tho'.  THAT was a bear!  It wasn't until I was more than ¾ done that I fund out about walnut (I think that's what it is) shell blasting.  In hindsight, I would definitely pay to have that done.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »
I did everything except the headliner, upholstery and paint (which includes any bodywork for warranty purposes).  I did strip it all down to bare metal tho'.  THAT was a bear!  It wasn't until I was more than ¾ done that I fund out about walnut (I think that's what it is) shell blasting.  In hindsight, I would definitely pay to have that done.
I stripped my '64 1/2 down to bare metal, so I know that fun.  Mine was a rolling re-paint, so it was a piece at a time.  Went thru LOTS of paint stripper and sandpaper.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Very cool. Re-creation photo is great! Beautiful job.
Current Projects:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

71 Pewter Mach1 DB
1F05H2010XX  5/6/71

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.