Author Topic: Original dimmer switches...  (Read 3728 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Original dimmer switches...
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
Came across an interesting detail today while working on the '65 K convertible.  Some may know that the San Jose dimmer switches are a different top design than Dearborn/Metuchen.  Well, I have 2 originals from 2 coupes and the original from the K convertible.  Problem is, I don't remember which one came from where.  The bigger problem is that one of them is about 2" in total vertical length, while the other 2 are about about 1.90".  When held side by side, there is a noticeable difference.  There is no engineering number on the parts, just FoMoCo stamped on the side of one of the electrical plug spades.

Figured there might possibly be a difference in a convertible dimmer switch, so checked the assembly manual.  It states that the dimmer may be a -A or -B, but does not mention what the difference is.  The single year and '75 edition of the MPC only shows one number for service replacement.  So, not sure what to make of all this right now.  Was hoping that someone out there may have an original San Jose '65 that they could measure the height of their dimmer switch.  Thanks for any help!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original dimmer switches...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »
You should be able to check out a handful of them next week ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
You should be able to check out a handful of them next week ;)

I'll be sure to pack a ruler!

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:17:08 PM »
Charles,
I know you were asking about a San Jose car but I checked my 66 convertible. Its 1.90 tall, Fomoco on the lower blade, "LITTELFUSE" engraved in the bakelite piece surrounding the blades, and has a "7-4" engraved in the casting directly above the blades. I don't see any other markings other than those.
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Likely a part made by outside contractors - which also means multiple suppliers specific (or at least generally different) from plant to plant
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:43:44 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
When I was in CA with Jeff, found a tall dimmer in a '65 san jose coupe.  Think the number was 5R07T198???  Ended up removing it from the car and buying it.  As I was going through pictures of the K code when I disassembled it, I found a good picture of the dimmer and was able to determine (from a rust spot on the top!) that the one that was in the car was a tall one.  Of course, I can't be 100% sure that it wasn't replaced, but at least I have some evidence now.  I went ahead and installed a tall one in the car.