Author Topic: Cleaning with Pine-Sol  (Read 3226 times)

Offline sgl66

Cleaning with Pine-Sol
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:54:05 PM »
Late last year I came across a thread on a motorcycle forum where they were soaking cast aluminum carbs in Pine-Sol to clean them without destroying the finish. I didn't have a spare Autolite to test but did have an aluminum spacer to sacrifice. About a 6 hour soak in full strength, rinse with a garden hose and all done. Next I had random dirty parts that have been sitting around and figured let's see how they clean up. That's when I noticed not only was it cleaning parts but also dissolving rust and in some cases it blackened steel. You can see the shift linkage is darkened but a scuff pad and brake cleaner brought back the natural steel look. I left the leaf spring as it came out of dirty Pine-Sol. It cleaned grille moulding but also easily removed the argent paint from the aluminum. On the other hand, it didn't remove paint as easily from backing plates. All these were done at full strength using normal Pine-Sol. Fog light bar only soaked for 2 hours and I only soaked 1/2 to see before and after. I'll dig out more parts when I have time and try diluting 50% with water to see what it does. At $3.50 a quart, it's hard to go wrong especially for batches of small parts. Depending on the parts, media blasting is still easier. Didn't have any plated parts to test but will find some.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Cleaning with Pine-Sol
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Thank you for sharing....now I can "clean" the bathtub while simultaneously "cleaning" mustang parts!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
Thank you VERY much for taking the time to document your comparisons. It was very helpful.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
Looks like main ingredient is glycolic acid.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Looks like main ingredient is glycolic acid.
Slightly off-topic: when I was in the US Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes, the standard cleaner used in barracks was "strong". I still don't know what was in it, but we were warned to NOT use it to clean clothes. Absolute pure white was mandatory on underwear (except socks) and on summer whites (aka uniforms). Some recruits did not get the message. A soaking in this stuff disintegrated fabric. The unwary users were required to buy new replacement clothes.
For the use of "Pine-Sol" on car parts, more tests should be done. The line is over there ->
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »
 Going to give it a try. I use Simple Green to degrease and Murphy's on vinyl seats, so why not?  Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate and post.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:31:51 PM »
Looks like this guy was thinking the same thing I was in December and had a 4100 Galaxy carb to test.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65