Author Topic: Engine Code not in Mannel  (Read 884 times)

Offline midnite cruiser

• midnite cruiser
Engine Code not in Mannel
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
My Dad's 64.5 is currently out of paint and in reassembly back at my place. He bought the vehicle from a Ford Parts Manager in about 1970, so but for that first 6 years or so, it was in his control and the engine was never torn down.
The tag under the thermostat reads:
289  65  1
4-F   N551-C

This "551-C" was not listed in the code breakdown. I am wondering if I missed something deeper in the book or what?
I was hoping to verify the configuration of the motor. Dearly hoping this is not a crate replacement from early on or something.
JWhite
64.5 D code convert. / C4 / AC / PS / RP

Offline JKWilson

Re: Engine Code not in Mannel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:45:18 PM »
IMHO, as with any reference book there are usually oversights, omissions or faults. A reference as huge as Mannel's would be no exception. Not to speak badly of Mr. Mannel, I look at it as the bible of Ford small blocks! Keep in mind also that references are written based on the best information available at the time.

With that said, while he lists "551-B" in the tables, if you refer to page 4-8 you'll see your tag bearing 551-C (though minus the "N"), in image "b" of 4A6, as well as some information in the description. He also references the oversight in his update online. http://www.fordsmallblock.com/changes.html

BTW, since the tag could be easily transferred from one engine to the next, it's not a good indicator of originality. Checking the assembly date stamped on the block would provide a better clue, as well as casting codes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:51:25 PM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline midnite cruiser

• midnite cruiser
Re: Engine Code not in Mannel
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »
Thanks.
I had scanned the supplement (printed, slid inside my fairly recent purchase) but missed that correction
All the castings and date codes are checking out. Whew.
The draft tube setup on this engine really is primitive.
JWhite
64.5 D code convert. / C4 / AC / PS / RP