Author Topic: OEM ford spoiler for Cougar 69/70 question  (Read 4036 times)

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

OEM ford spoiler for Cougar 69/70 question
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
I found one and it says DOWB and some numbers with a oval ford at the end on the pedestals. I know mustang is DOZB.  Is this a correct rear stand up spoiler for 70 Cougar/Eliminator ?

Troy

Offline jwc66k

Re: OEM ford spoiler for Cougar 69/70 question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »
Troy,
In general, all Ford Motor Co. part numbers are descriptive and have other meanings. The includes Mercury products. The "W" is the indicator for an item (part or assembly) that was originally designed by the Mercury Cougar. The correct part number should have a "0" (zero) instead of an "O" (letter O), which, with the "D" indicates an item designed for first use in 1970 ("D" = 7). Some numbers actually defines the item, and that is important to verify what it is. The "B" is a Body engineering design. So, to verify what you have, the entire number should be used. There are quirks in the system, so don't be intimidated. Two of my Mustangs use Comet designed distributors.
In answer to your question, a D0WB would be a good indicator that it is a Cougar item. The rest of the numbers would confirm this.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:34:55 PM »
Thx Jim

Hare to see the pic he sent , some numbers are 654***29 then oval with ford

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
- some numbers are 654***29 then oval with ford
Closer, the "65" indicates a 2 door hardtop coup item which would be a Cougar, the "4" indicates a item for the rear of the car, trunk included, the rest of the number is probably in the Mercury Car Part book. The Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) has kits listed for 69/70 and 71/72 Mustangs, but no number ending in a "29" except a gasket. I would ask West Coast Classic Cougar (WCCC) for additional information.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
If I get it I will do it. Thx.

I know Don Rush, We see each other every year at the Portland Swap meet.

Troy :D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »
I found one and it says DOWB and some numbers with a oval ford at the end on the pedestals. I know mustang is DOZB.  Is this a correct rear stand up spoiler for 70 Cougar/Eliminator ?

As I understand it there is a difference in the spoiler itself - distance between there the pedestals mount to the spoiler. Suggest you search the Cougar forums to find that measurement and other info to be sure though the DOWB makes sense you need to be sure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
It is mounted already on a 70 fb mustang deck lid. Trying to complete a deal.

Troy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
It is mounted already on a 70 fb mustang deck lid. Trying to complete a deal.

Troy

So maybe a collection of parts assembled together rather than as delivered. Example Cougar pedestals with a Mustang Spoiler if the mounted width is the same as  Mustang
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
Possible, he measured and it is 36. This could be what happened.

Troy

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
As I understand it there is a difference in the spoiler itself - distance between there the pedestals mount to the spoiler. Suggest you search the Cougar forums to find that measurement and other info to be sure though the DOWB makes sense you need to be sure

For 1970 the rear spoiler wings for Cougar Eliminator and Mustangs were the same, with the same pedestal spacing (36").  My understanding was that the pedestals were also identical.  I've only ever seen D0ZB part numbers on the pedestals.  I've read conflicting reports of a D0WB version ("yes it exists" / "no it doesn't"), but have never seen pictures.  However, the gasket between the pedestal and the trunk lid does typically have a D0WB part number, which often confuses mustang folks.

If the pedestals have a different part number that would imply a physical difference from the D0ZB version. 

Could you post a picture of the pedestal and part number if you get a chance?  Curious to see if / what that difference might be.

1969 Cougar and Mustang rear spoiler wings had different pedestal spacing.  Cougar = 31", while Mustang = 36".
There were also material differences between '69 and '70 wings, and casting difference between '69 & '70 pedestals, as well as mounting hardware differences for each year and model, which we can discuss further if you need.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »
I took a harder look at the pictures. The DOWB is on the gasket. I do not see the same part number on the pedestal . Nor do I see a number at all. It does have the brackets for inside the trunk. We are trying to work out greyhound. Once Ii have it I can take a look. I did not get a picture of were the pedestals attach to the wing. If screws or pop rivets .

Either way it will work since it is 36 inches. I will sell it if someone is in need. I was after the 70 fastback trunk lid for a friend.

Troy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks Mike for the differences between 69 & 70 rear spoiler info

68GT/CSconvmod here is an earlier thread (Mustang related) showing the stand details

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg46020#msg46020
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68GT/CSconvmod

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff  8)

Troy