Author Topic: Turn Signals Do Not Work  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

Re: Turn Signals Do Not Work
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Wow "Thanks"  for all the help and patience Randy and Richard in helping me resolve this issue.  My head is really swimming right now.  Hopefully I'm not over thinking this.

There were no instructions that came with the new t/s switch.  I made a diagram of both connector ends wires and locations.  Also took pictures.

When I went to insert the t/s switch wires to the connector and put them back in the same sequence.  The yellow/black wire didn't match so I put it
in the only empty slot.

I will test the yellow/black on the t/s switch connector against the other wires.  If there is no readings should I then move it to the blank spot?

Do the same test using the blue wire that is in the blank spot?

Then move the blue wire from the blank spot to the left top corner spot.

Thanks Mark     
Mark
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 390-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1968
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1972

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
That should do it.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
Ok. I tested the yellow/black wire to all other wires on the t/s switch connector and no readings.

Then I tested the blue wire directly under it and got the following.

T/s lever in neutral position

Green .4, orange/blue .3, green/orange.4

Lever down position - green/white .3, green/orange .3

Lever up position - white/blue .4, orange/blue .4

Brakes - green/red .2, orange/blue .2

All other wires didn't show any reading during each test should I switch the yellow/black wire with the blue wire?

Thanks Mark
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:12:17 PM by 69mustang73mach1 »
Mark

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
Perfect readings.  Switch the blue and yellow/black wires and you should be in business.

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
JACK POT!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It is so great to see turn signals blink.  Also the emergency lights flash.  I couldn't have done it without the guidance of Randy, Richard and other members.

Now to tackle the 2 new problems involving the turn signals.

1.  The t/s switch lever goes into the down position as you expect.  Pushing it to the up position is difficult.  It feels like your going to break it.  Then when it goes down to the neutral position it still blinks.  I just wiggle it a little to find the right spot then it goes off.  Any ideas on how to correct this?

2.  3 out of 4 turn signal lights work.  The right front does not blink.  I checked the bulb and looks good to go.  It is a dual type of bulb.  It is really hard to get into the socket.  The front park lamps has 2 bulbs.  The lower bulb comes on with the running lights and stays on with the headlights.  The top bulb comes on with the running lights and goes out when the headlights come on.  It also functions as the turn signal light.  So I know the bulb works when I turn on the running lights so why not the turn signal light.  Thanks Mark 

Mark

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
1.  Can't help you here.
2. Does that bulb flash when you use the e-flasher?  Have you checked the socket tabs to ensure they are making contact with the bulb? 

With the bulb out, you can probe it with your DVM on 20VDC and see if you get the 12V on/off while turn signal is active.  If not, you have a problem with wiring up front somewhere.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
JACK POT!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It is so great to see turn signals blink.  Also the emergency lights flash.  I couldn't have done it without the guidance of Randy, Richard and other members.

Now to tackle the 2 new problems involving the turn signals.

1.  The t/s switch lever goes into the down position as you expect.  Pushing it to the up position is difficult.  It feels like your going to break it.  Then when it goes down to the neutral position it still blinks.  I just wiggle it a little to find the right spot then it goes off.  Any ideas on how to correct this?

2. 3 out of 4 turn signal lights work.  The right front does not blink.  I checked the bulb and looks good to go.  It is a dual type of bulb.  It is really hard to get into the socket.  The front park lamps has 2 bulbs.  The lower bulb comes on with the running lights and stays on with the headlights.  The top bulb comes on with the running lights and goes out when the headlights come on.  It also functions as the turn signal light.  So I know the bulb works when I turn on the running lights so why not the turn signal light.  Thanks Mark 

If you have a generic TS switch  (not Ford) could cause the problem for fitment. Does the TS switch work normally when it is NOT screwed into the column?
The TILT COLUMN switches have that mechanism the turn stalk (chrome handle) screws into, it needs to move freely or things may bind up. Try loosening the screws if the switch is already mounted and try again. This isn't a "fix", just trying to determine what may be binding up the switch.

Another possibility is if you ever shorted out the switch with "live" current, it could be possible the switch melted internally. (I hope not, but it is possible) A little thing we "electrical/electronics people" say about how these things work is that everything electrical works on "smoke", if for any reason the "smoke" ever leaks out, it ruins them. :D PS: You do not need to witness the "smoke" for this statement to be true ;)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:43:37 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the slow response in getting back with you.  I had to move the car to another location and have been working on the brakes.  With it being in a junk yard since 1984 everything needs lots of work.

I did try and figure out why all the lights work except for the front right turn signal.  Once I removed the battery, the vertical plate that holds the voltage regulator I ran into another large metal framing plate.  Behind this plate is the right headlight, running and turn signal wires and connectors.   I can barely see the wires and connectors but did find the problem I believe.

The wires from the dash that go through the firewall and engine bay to the right turn signal connector has 2 wires cut.  One appears to be black and the other blue with yellow stripe.  I couldn't find the other ends of the wires.  The framing metal plate complicates everything.  I proceeded to remove the turn signal housing, grille and front headlights to get a better view and access to fix the problem.  I can not remove the large framing plate.

Midlife (Randy) was on the right track with wiring problems up front.  Not sure why someone cut the wires or possible mice.  I will keep everyone updated when I get to the point of access and slicing the wire back together.

Thanks Mark       
Mark

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »
Finally success.  I had a chance today to work on the front right turn signal wiring.  I got all lights to work except for this. It looked like someone has sliced the wires.  Possibly mice after being in a junk yard for over 30 years. I reattached the wires and the turn signal worked just fine.  A true day of satisfaction with the help of many mustangers here.  Thanks to all.

Now the next several electrical challenges are as follows.

1. Alternator not charging.  Replaced with a working one but no change.  I found a cut ground wire from the block to the alternator and some loose connections on the backside of the alternator.  Next on the priority list.

2.  It has power windows.  Removed the window motors and looking for replacements.  The windows were all done and the convertible top has been long gone. 

3.  Convertible top motor.  I have the metal top frame and the motor but that's it.

Stay tune on troubleshooting them on a new thread in the near future.  I really appreciate all the feedback.

Mark
Mark