Author Topic: Hood pin cables losing plastic coating  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Hood pin cables losing plastic coating
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
 Not sure where to place this... I was wondering if the original Shelby GT350's had a coating on their hood pin clip cable?? If so what was used or what could be used to restore or at least keep the metal cable from scratching the hood?
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood pin cables losing plastic coating
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
If this is for your 66 clone - 66's didn't use lanyards for the hood pin clips
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »
Yes, I wasn't sure what if any Mustangs with hood pins came with cables?? Even so I'm guessing a re-dip in a clear plastic-coat would suffice?? I hear people have good results dipping other items?? It seems to stay flexible and weather resistant.
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
Way back when, 1966 to be exact, I got a about five feet of vinyl covered 1/8 inch cable from a hardware store and made my own hood pin cables, not as a clone car (the term did not exist in 66) but as retainers for a pair of small padlocks for the hood pins I installed as a security measure.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
As Jim mentioned you might consider stripping off all the outer cover (or just go down to Orchard Supply and by new) along with a new clear (or choose a color that would go with the exterior) vinyl tubing to act as the covering. Even aquarium air hose would work if you match up the sizes.  Should be able to find aluminum crimps to fold the ends over and make a loop

I run hood pins on one of my modified cars. Don't use lanyards just trained myself to slip the click pins into my pocket when I remove them
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:07:25 AM »
Good ideas. I'm afraid someone will walk off with the clips so I went with lanyards. (I drive the clone often)

I have even seen one car with small padlocks through the hood pins. Talk about security, anti-tampering.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:01:41 AM »
I have even seen one car with small padlocks through the hood pins. Talk about security, anti-tampering.

Unfortunately you can often ( in cases like that) use the padlock to gain leverage to unscrew the hood pins from their base since their normally not mounted with lock washers, locking nuts or secured by anything other than the nuts
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
Not sure where to place this... I was wondering if the original Shelby GT350's had a coating on their hood pin clip cable?? If so what was used or what could be used to restore or at least keep the metal cable from scratching the hood?
As you have been told 66's didn't come with lanyards. FYI Shelby competition models 65/66 models used the lanyards and the same style came standard on 67 . For those wanting to restore original I am sorry to report that I am un aware of a way to restore the plastic on the cable in a way that looks original. There are numerous non original alternatives the easiest being to buy some of the better reproduction (Scott Drake) 67 Shelby click pins and use on your 65/66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Thanks Bob. I ordered the plastic-coat in clear and will give it a try. I am not seeing where you can purchase just the pins and lanyards, but rather another whole kit. These were bought from Branda back in 2000 and so far have lasted very well. If the plastic coat doesn't work I will likely try the clear vinyl tube as has been suggested. I hope to post some results here in the future to hopefully help others in one way or another.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
Thanks Bob. I ordered the plastic-coat in clear and will give it a try. I am not seeing where you can purchase just the pins and lanyards, but rather another whole kit. These were bought from Branda back in 2000 and so far have lasted very well. If the plastic coat doesn't work I will likely try the clear vinyl tube as has been suggested. I hope to post some results here in the future to hopefully help others in one way or another.
  I think the things you describe will end up standing out and looking cheesy but that is just me.  I don't mean to trivialize your efforts but hate to see you waste your time and money if you are looking for that original look as your previous posts on other things seem to indicate.The DIY measures will not come close IMO.  If you are on a budget then paying for the pins in the lanyard kit and not using them could be a issue. This can also be seen as being penny wise and pound foolish given the alternatives IMO.  Best of luck with your efforts regardless.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
No offence taken with your feedback Bob. Ultimately if it were an original Shelby, I wouldn't even have posted because if I can afford the car, getting the correct set-up (restored or new) would be peanuts.  ;)

I have seen 66's Shelbys with lanyards (likely R models), but was just throwing it out there because I knew later cars had them and was wondering what folks did to restore their originals. Now if I can only find a supplier that just sells the lanyards with pins. I'll be making some calls..  In the mean time, I used the clear plastic-coat that turned out ok. It is quite flexible, sort of like rubber, but will do the job. However, last night was very humid here and the finish is more foggy than clear. I will try one more time to see if it will suit me. I appreciate all the replies.

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
Just finished re-coating the cable lanyards over the weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results. Enclosed are a few pics, the first is what I was dealing with, the original coating was breaking off of the cables and very frail. The second pic is after applying a few coats of the clear Plastic-coat. Again, it is quite flexible, almost rubberized but I am happy with the way they turned out. Maybe this could be an alternative for those wanting to rescue their cables instea of buying new ones?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiment
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Just finished re-coating the cable lanyards over the weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results. Enclosed are a few pics, the first is what I was dealing with, the original coating was breaking off of the cables and very frail. The second pic is after applying a few coats of the clear Plastic-coat. Again, it is quite flexible, almost rubberized but I am happy with the way they turned out. Maybe this could be an alternative for those wanting to rescue their cables instea of buying new ones?
That came out better then expected.Good job.  FYI those are some kind of repro cables and not the rare genuine versions. In the context of a genuine Shelby that more likely then not worth north of 100K ,a owner would be foolish to short cut on the lanyards in the looks department on a restored car .