Author Topic: 1969 NJ Mustang Mach 1 Find  (Read 883 times)

Offline jim69mach1

1969 NJ Mustang Mach 1 Find
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
Hello All. A special hello to J Speegle and Bob Gaines. Both gentleman were incredibly helpful in restoring my 67 Shelby GT-350 serial #3000.

I have since then sold the Shelby and found a Project 69 Mach 1.

She includes a numbers matching 3904v and 4 speed, White Interior. The Mach has been stored in a shed since 1982. I have been working on getting the car from the owner for well over 18 years. A deal was finally made and she comes home this coming Thursday Aug 3.

She is very solid, untouched (except my mice) and all original including the Silver jade paint (whats left of it anyway).

When she was put away in 1982 all she needed was a water pump. Well the water pump was removed and that was it...there she sat until now. Sadly rats and such have made it a home. So shes super dirty and in need of a restoration. I plan on doing just that.

What will make this a great build is shes a Florida car so she has very minimal rust. The battery tray and inner fender are toast. Rest of her is super solid.

I hope to be seeking advise as time goes on from all the experts. Look forward to sharing progress pics .

thanks for reading...here are pics as she sits still in her shed tomb awaiting my arrival Thursday with my trailer. enjoy!

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:38:03 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Mach 1 , 390, 4 SPD. Silver Jade, White Interior
VIN #9TO2S1XXXXX, Metuchen Built 10/24/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Mustang Mach 1 Find
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
Well good to see you hear and welcome.

You will definitely find this site has a different feel and focus than the SAAC site but different can be good.

If your not aware of it yet there is a Member Restorations/Builds section where you can choose to share and tell us more about the car as you start working through it.

Lots of info already here so it will keep you busy for a while. 69 390's are a fairly unresearch vehicle as because of their numbers not as much information and research has been done. Plenty of one year only things but the good thing is that they are about 90% the same as all the other cars built at the same plant and time.

Would invite you to add your cars info (what it is and when and where it was built - or just add the VIN) to your signature as you will be asked it every time you post a question ;)

Again glad you found us 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Well good to see you hear and welcome.

You will definitely find this site has a different feel and focus than the SAAC site but different can be good.

If your not aware of it yet there is a Member Restorations/Builds section where you can choose to share and tell us more about the car as you start working through it.

Lots of info already here so it will keep you busy for a while. 69 390's are a fairly unresearch vehicle as because of their numbers not as much information and research has been done. Plenty of one year only things but the good thing is that they are about 90% the same as all the other cars built at the same plant and time.

Would invite you to add your cars info (what it is and when and where it was built - or just add the VIN) to your signature as you will be asked it every time you post a question ;)

Again glad you found us

Thank you Jeff!!

You were an enormous role in the proper restoration of #3000!!

Look forward to the same great advice and expertise with my new 69!

Great site! Incredible data base and input!

Thank you!

jim

Online Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Greetings Jim and looking forward to seeing some of those little known Metuchen quirks and hallmarks.  I have a Metuchen car built about 1 month prior to yours.  Right away I see you have the original valve covers ?  Nice.  Happen to notice if they, the valve covers, are date stamped ?  Brian
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:19:39 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
Greetings Jim and looking forward to seeing some of those little known Metuchen quirks and hallmarks.  I have a Metuchen car built about 1 month prior to yours.  Right away I see you have the original valve covers ?  Nice.  Happen to notice if they, the valve covers, are date stamped ?  Brian

Greetings to you Brian. Thank you!  I will be happy to post pics along the way. I had no idea Metuchen cars had such different variances as compared to San Jose cars. It will be interesting discovering those quirks hallmarks along the way..

I take delivery of the car this Thursday. I will look for the date stamping on the valve covers. Hoping they are genuine!

jim

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
If you do not mind, what part of Florida is Home? I am in Miami-Dade county.

David

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
If you do not mind, what part of Florida is Home? I am in Miami-Dade county.

David

Hi David,
 North of Tampa is home for me.

jim

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »
Pulled her from her tomb last night. She sees daylight for the first time since 1981! It was a GREAT night!

Pics as promised...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:09:52 AM by jim69mach1 »

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
 It's always a shame to find these cars in such cases of neglect. But again, it's always great when someone like you pulls them out of their doomed fate and brings them back to life.  It'll be interesting to follow along as you restore her, Jim. 

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:15:19 PM »
Hi all. Spent the weekend with the Mach. Finally got her cleaned up and gutted her insides. Floors look really good! Driver side front floor will need some tending to. All around very solid! Finding lots of markings at various locations now that the dust and dirt has been washed away. Here are 2 very interesting markings. First one was on the left shock tower, a "4" written in a pink wax or paint. The second one in yellow paint was on the passenger side fender apron near the data plate. I was thinking maybe a pre deliver inspection marking from the selling dealership when the car arrived at the dealer from ford? Maybe "Manual Trans 3:20" gear? (which it has). I dunno, neat stuff!

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:22:32 PM by jim69mach1 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »
The inner fender marking near the buck tag appears IMHO to be something the dealer might have placed on the car as sort of an inventory mark. We find similar (with different patterns) from different years and plants.

The shock tower mark is similar to some we see out of NJ in 68. The number is thought to reflect the exterior paint code (for 69 4 would be Silver Jade it appears) Not sure why the exterior color would need to be noted or called out for assembly workers in the second half of assembly at that particular plant (not found yet that I have record of at another plant) since all the painting had been done

Thanks for sharing.  Floors look nice especially for a NJ car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jim69mach1

Re: 1969 NJ Mustang Mach 1 Find
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
Excellent information Jeff! Thank you for your input! Very cool about the "4" it does make sense.

I found a few more chalk markings on the front radiator cowl. I'll post them soon.

I was quite surprised on how well the floor paint was applied too. Very good coverage.

The gray primer floorboards on the underside held up well too. If I recall looking at other threads this was a New Jersey thing too. It threw me off at first not seeing the red oxide. I learned through this website that it should be gray. Cool stuff!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:29:58 PM by jim69mach1 »

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
A few more markings found on the car.

1- the number "62" on the driver side radiator cowl behind the center headlight bucket

2- what appears to be a number "8" on the bottom of the coil. The coil is the original yellow top coil, " I traced the image in yellow to show it better"

3- decal on the drivers side valve cover. Chrome valve covers are original to the car.

4- It must have been a friday nite when the assembly line tech placed this decal on the shock tower....ha!

Look at the amount of run in the paint on the underside of the hood! that's crazy! The question is do i duplicate that when time comes for paint? hmmm..

Thanks for viewing!  hope this helps other restorers and those who like to log these findings on NJ cars...i.e. Mr. Speegle :)

jim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:41:16 PM by jim69mach1 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
A few more markings found on the car.

1- the number "62" on the driver side radiator cowl behind the center headlight bucket

2- what appears to be a number "8" on the bottom of the coil. The coil is the original yellow top coil, " I traced the image in yellow to show it better"

3- decal on the drivers side valve cover. Chrome valve covers are original to the car.

4- It must have been a friday nite when the assembly line tech placed this decal on the shock tower....ha!

Look at the amount of run in the paint on the underside of the hood! that's crazy! The question is do i duplicate that when time comes for paint? hmmm..

Thanks for viewing!  hope this helps other restorers and those who like to log these findings on NJ cars...i.e. Mr. Speegle :)

jim
The early repro coils had a contour like that on the bottom. Factory coils were smooth on the bottom.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
The early repro coils had a contour like that on the bottom. Factory coils were smooth on the bottom.

ok thanks bob!! good to know, now i wont need to waste money on getting that one restored.

jim