Author Topic: American Motors starter motor  (Read 1667 times)

Offline RocketScientist

American Motors starter motor
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
I came across an American Motors starter that was on a 1970, 351W with a manual transmission (non Mustang - possibly Bronco?) and was curious about the name. It has the D0AF-11131-D part number on the aluminium top and a number that starts with 2DCXXon the body. From the partial number I suspect that it's a 1972 replacement but I would like to be sure.

I am looking for a starter  to suit a 70 Dearborn B302 so I don't think it's a fit, but still curious about the starters origins.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: American Motors starter motor
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »
I came across an American Motors starter that was on a 1970, 351W with a manual transmission (non Mustang - possibly Bronco?) and was curious about the name. It has the D0AF-11131-D part number on the aluminium top and a number that starts with 2DCXXon the body. From the partial number I suspect that it's a 1972 replacement but I would like to be sure.

I am looking for a starter  to suit a 70 Dearborn B302 so I don't think it's a fit, but still curious about the starters origins.
If it a rebuild it could have any combination of components.The rebuilders are not choosy. The stamped number on the stamped case is the one that is most relevant for a concours correct starter. Ford changed the design of the nose cone in 1970.They are much easier to find compared to earlier.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
It likely would have fit. Have seen this (starter with American Motors stamping on the main case) a number of times. Like the odd master cylinders with the cap held in place with the center single bolt.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »
A lot of cross pollination between AMC and the big three,but mainly ford. Intermittent wipers system between 71-73 and maybe other years was exactly the same as the AMC system up to the late 70's. I grew up in an AMC town and plenty of parts cars to draw from that also worked on the mustang
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
Thanks, I'm a little slow and didn't make the connection between 'American Motors' and AMC.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
AMC was using a few Autolite parts. Autolite 2100 Carburetors were used on Jeeps too.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Javelin, AMC Scrambler, AMC Rogue, AMX and other AMC products used Ford air cleaners and ram air parts too.........
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Online jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Have you ever heard of "LOF Glass"? The initials stands for "Libby-Owens-Ford". They made windshields and windows for GM, Chrysler as well as Ford. GM made Ford smog pumps. There was a lot of common sources for car related part, probably still is.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
Have you ever heard of "LOF Glass"? The initials stands for "Libby-Owens-Ford". They made windshields and windows for GM, Chrysler as well as Ford. GM made Ford smog pumps. There was a lot of common sources for car related part, probably still is.
Jim

Libby-Owens-Ford had a plant in Lathrop CA and protected by a fire department I worked at in the 80's  Toured there a number of times except the "secret room" where we were restricted from :)   for tour purposes.  Plant still remains today though another company owns it.  Front grass area (a number of acres) had a bunch of rabbits that some released there a decade or more prior (one time domestic bunnies) that roamed the property out side of the buildings.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)