Author Topic: 1/4 tank of gas for showing inside?  (Read 288 times)

Offline sed6

1/4 tank of gas for showing inside?
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »
With 120 plus cars showing indoors at the upcoming KS GN, what's everyone do to get down to 1/4 tank? I'm planning on bringing a fuel transfer pump and pumping any extra into my wife's car prior to entering the venue. Is this what others do? Would the sponsoring club have thought of this already and perhaps have a station set up outside already for this purpose? There's bound to be several people who didn't plan ahead and might find themselves driving around the city just burning off gas to met the fire marshals requirement of 1/4 tank when that time could/should be spent polishing and cleaning.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1/4 tank of gas for showing inside?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
i'm in the same boat. just going to monitor fuel consumption prior to arrival.
5F09C331248

Offline BobV

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
I planned ahead...

FWIW, in the past when I've done indoor shows, they simply ask, and it's honor system from there.
There are no plans that I'm aware of for a fuel transfer station, as that would be a real danger.

Never understood the rule anyway, as I understand it's gasoline FUMES that cause an explosion hazard - now you have 3/4 tank of fumes, plus sparks when people disconnect and reconnect batteries... Jeff?
1986 Saleen Mustang
50k miles 98% original

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »
It's likely a combination of fire safety rules and also rules set forth by the property owner.

Also want to point out that MCA reserves the right to disqualify a car where tampering is detected to show an incorrect gauge reading.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
Never understood the rule anyway, as I understand it's gasoline FUMES that cause an explosion hazard - now you have 3/4 tank of fumes, plus sparks when people disconnect and reconnect batteries... Jeff?

Rules don't always have to make sense - they are just the rules and once in place they are hard to change and there is really not a reason (as they see it) to make a change since its always worked. At the same time I believe there is one concern that can be addressed by the 1/4 tank rule. 

The greatest possible hazard related to this rule is related  to older cars with front mounted fuel pumps (as opposed to the gas tank mounted fuel pump cars)
There is the possibility of these cars developing a leak and draining the contents of the gas tank out on the floor, increasing by a very large amount the ability of the fuel to vaporize since the liquid would be spread across a larger surface area.  Once five gallons or so is vaporized there could be a problem depending on the building design, HVAC or ventilation system features and other factors

There have been some venues that required that the gas cap be tapped shut  ::) which IMHO really did nothing and they never outlined how or with what products so we saw owners wrap the cap with masking tape. A product that surely wasn't going to seal anything
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sed6

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
Thanks all, it's a fire marshal rule in KS and I'm not going to argue the point. The KS GN does require tape on the gas cap also.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
North Texas Mustang Club has the same rules when they did the Yellow Rose inside the Will Rogers Hall.  I think they wanted an 1/8 of a tank or less.  They asked for tape as well or a locking gas cap.  Would MCA allow the locking gas cap on concourse cars to comply with the fire marshal rules and if the owner showed they have the original gas cap in the trunk on display...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
Would MCA allow the locking gas cap on concourse cars to comply with the fire marshal rules and if the owner showed they have the original gas cap in the trunk on display...

A locking gas cap would not address the issues IMHO that the Fire Marshal or site insurance is looking to address so I don't think that is the related to the issue and would not be acceptable. Don't believe the issue is someone dropping something in the gas tanks. Besides I wouldn't want to unbolt or unscrew my gas cap to place a locking on just for a show - just me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
Heck, since I'm bringing a trailer queen I had to ADD gas to get a 1/4 tank!  😀