Author Topic: coil/leaf springs  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Ashley

coil/leaf springs
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Anyone have any info or pictures on the appearance of coil and leaf springs when new. Glass beaded springs for my 71, trying to determine factory look for springs. Any info would be helpful.

Offline nham3407

Re: coil/leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
Here are mine.  I have a pictures of an untouched 73 vert that was maintained in a heated/cooled garage.  I also have other untouched 71's that had a lot of surface corrosion from not being temp controlled.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
As mentioned in a number of other threads it appears that originally they were a dark heat treated steel like other parts such as spindles, some of the steering, and rear leaf springs.  In some limited cases (not sure if this includes the 71-73 - haven't seen that) some were painted a semi-gloss black.  Service replacements were painted black also so that adds to some confusion with some of the findings

Most will strip and refinish the surface as needed - then stain the metal  followed by a protective coating of protective oil. This last step follows adding/replacing any paint markings that would need to be replaced

Might want to look at the article in the Library titled Natural Finishes- Reproducing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff and nham . Have seen heat treated steel turn to a dark blue to black appearance Gun bluing and black oxide have been suggested for appearance.