Author Topic: What blue is my San Jose 66  (Read 1615 times)

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

What blue is my San Jose 66
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »
Please experts.
I have a 66 without identification plate at rear of driver`s door. VIN: 6R07C2034**, The original body color is a blue. Recently removed the dash pad and door hinges and is like: Guardsman blue, Sapphire Blue or Acapulco Blue. Help me how to know what blue is. Thanks   

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: What blue is my San Jose 66
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:06 AM »
Looks like Sapphire Blue.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
Hard to tell for sure with a digital picture on a computer screen but would agree that in the picture it appears to be Sapphire Blue though this would make the car a special order paint car. Since its a 66 San Jose car you don't have a buck tag and likely no buildsheet  to back that up or to help you gather enough information to complete a new door tag
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:08:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
The paint detail in that area is a bit odd also, like there is black paint brushed over the blue?  Are you sure the blue paint there is original?

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
The paint detail in that area is a the original, I`m totaly sure because it`s shown in other hard to reach spaces on the car. I personaly made the black paint brushed over the blue at the picture. 
Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
Another oddity in your picture is the drivers side splash shield being body color. These would have required a worker to staple the rubber to the shield on the assembly line rather than at the supplier of the part or at a sub assembly area of the plant. Have seen tens of thousands of San Jose 65's and 66's and have only found one other like this and it was not built even close to your example. Not sure even a mistake in the process or a worker can explain this

Would that happen to be new rubber on the one in the picture
Jeff Speegle

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:10 AM »
Yes. I install new rubber to the shield after clean with water/detergent the area.

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:35 AM »
More Pictures

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Most likely Sapphire Blue.  Is it a really late '66 car?

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
Engine block: C6AE-6015-C   6G16  (March/16/1966),  Engine assembled 6C31 (March/31/1966) I don`t have the identification plate at rear of driver`s door . 
What do you think about the vehicle date code ??

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
A "rough" calculation between your engine assembly dates and your VIN (per the Mustang Production Guide) SCHEDULED assembly dates, May 19, 20 or 21 (plus or minus a couple more) is around 7 weeks. That's possible.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Engine block: C6AE-6015-C   6G16  (March/16/1966),  Engine assembled 6C31 (March/31/1966) I don`t have the identification plate at rear of driver`s door . 
What do you think about the vehicle date code ??

You read or wrote down something incorrectly as you have the engine being made after it was assembled ;) Interesting that your reporting that its a C6AE cast block but not a big thing like the mismatched dates are. Engine casting date you posted is likely also after the projected and real build date based on other examples

Your better off using panel dates from panels welded to the unibody as a guide but an original engine with an assembly date will at least provide limits at projecting the real build date. The VIN is more useful at guessing the projected build date since both are from when the order was placed in the system not when it was really built.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:53:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline MOSTRENCO 66

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
The VIN is: 6R07C203428. Any place where to find  the real special color order ??

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 12:35:05 AM »
The VIN is: 6R07C203428. Any place where to find  the real special color order ??
No. Ford did not load the data for 1966 and earlier to a computer so that way is out. San Jose did not use buck tags in 1966 so no go there either. Unless you find a build sheet hidden in the car (under the carpet, wrapped around the under dash harness), still no. The original window sticker would tell you, but it's probably long gone. Even with the door data plate, no. The plate would have a blank paint code, but would have a four number special order number as part of the DSO, making it a six number code. That code would be on the district order and factory order which would then give the paint's color. In other words, no.
You can make some educated guesses:
Body Type - 65A (assuming bucket seats);
Color - (blank);
Trim (your choice of black, aqua, blue, or white combinations);
Date - 20C (close);
DSO - (your choice, with some reservations, like smog - does your engine have smog?);
Axle - C (2.80:1 was standard for a "C" code engine);
Trans - 6 (assuming a C4 automatic)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:03 AM »

Original paperwork in an envelop in the glove box  - upper left hand corner of the form.  Buildsheet would provide the color or you can match it to a fleet color sales mans book. Information on that can be found in a search of the site.

Unfortunately the last four digits of your DSO are going to be a guess at best looking at other special order cars we have documentation of but you don't even know what district the car was ordered from. As Jim mentioned if the car had/has thermactor at least it narrows the DSO to two. The Vin will provide at least a time period to base the guess on but you'll never know for sure without the factory documentation

Jeff Speegle