Author Topic: 1968 unrestored High Country Special  (Read 582 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 unrestored High Country Special
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
Perhaps the elevation of Durango Co. (6,5012 above sea level) comes into play here. High elevation and/or combined with travel between high elevation to lower elevations, wreak havoc on an otherwise "good tune-up" and perhaps vehicles set up with "High Altitude Emissions" systems were exempt (at least given the combination of options of this particular example). Just a thought. This would not necessarily include EVERY HCS made with manual transmissions but perhaps certain DSO's only.

Never seen any reference to regional exceptions in the Federal law at the time. Nor see any notes in the testing material for the sates.  Think (based on what we know at the moment) thing this is a bit of a very big stretch

Did I miss something - where did the High Altitude Emission systems term come from?  I see it used in modern engines but don't find any reference 50 years ago  so wanted to ask  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »
Never seen any reference to regional exceptions in the Federal law at the time. Nor see any notes in the testing material for the sates.  Think (based on what we know at the moment) thing this is a bit of a very big stretch

Did I miss something - where did the High Altitude Emission systems term come from?  I see it used in modern engines but don't find any reference 50 years ago  so wanted to ask  :)

Just a term I learned most likely in the 80's. I figure Ford was not unaware of how altitude affected carburetor  systems in the 1960's and essentially assumed they built things accordingly even 50 years ago, mostly since the advent of automatic chokes being used nearly 100% of applications by then. I agree it perhaps a stretch for the 60's cars but thought if it helped narrow down the examples that could have been built same as Marty's example is. (assuming again that everything is 100% stock as claimed and supported with date codes ;)

I'd like to hear what Kevin Marti might be able to find out. My guess is that there are others the same. (another assumption on my part ;) )
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
I'd like to hear what Kevin Marti might be able to find out. My guess is that there are others the same. (another assumption on my part ;) )

Agree that this is something we need to continue to watch for. Unfortunately not allot of manual trans cars in 68 with small blocks. Did look through my pictures and I don't have anything that could help from any of the three plants for late 68 production.
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:48 AM »
I looked through the Mannel book again at 1969 and there were no TE systems. Most likely it was indeed discontinued in late 68.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »
I looked through the Mannel book again at 1969 and there were no TE systems. Most likely it was indeed discontinued in late 68.

Of course the 69 is a different engine (as a complete assembly)  if your comparing just the 2V 302. Not saying that there is no way that Ford changed things and had the engines re-certified but that is allot of effort and dollars to spent to cover a few months of waining production. Would like to see mor evidence before I could accept it as fast. Just like other things we come across ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
  Would like to see more evidence before I could accept it as fact. Just like other things we come across ;)
[/quote]

I would as well, I may see if Kevin Marti can add any incite

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
I would as well, I may see if Kevin Marti can add any incite

Did I miss something that Marti provided that suggested that the emission system was different? If not I'm unsure of what his access could provide.  We have to remember that Ford in 68 could not just choose to change related things but had to go through government testing, certification and approval processes

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
Did I miss something that Marti provided that suggested that the emission system was different? If not I'm unsure of what his access could provide.  We have to remember that Ford in 68 could not just choose to change related things but had to go through government testing, certification and approval processes

Marty (Rupp) mentioned he has a Marti (Kevin) Report that does not list the Thermactor. Perhaps Marti could find another example of a HCS manual trans, late build, that supports the heads found on Marty's example as being correct for his HCS.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Marty (Rupp) mentioned he has a Marti (Kevin) Report that does not list the Thermactor. Perhaps Marti could find another example of a HCS manual trans, late build, that supports the heads found on Marty's example as being correct for his HCS.

Not sure if that helps since none of the 68 Marti reports I have list thermactor systems since it was not an option.  To be specific no 428 CJ, Small block with manual transmissions not 6 cylinders with manual transmissions or S codes no matter what time of year. 

Examples from December through April

8R02J1107xx

8R01S1565xx

8R01S1565xx

8R01J15598x
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:43:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 12:29:06 AM »
Ok I thought I had seen TE listed on a Marti report. I still may ask Kevin if he can see the information on emissions on the engine area of the build sheet. That may answer this question.