Author Topic: Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Morsel

Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:21 PM »
I thought I would reach out to all of you because some of you have already done this. I found the threads related to restoration on the two piece original rotors, which all makes sense, but how do you actually take them apart for the restoration process? Also, what about pressing them back together once finished?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
The studs are pressed through to hold the 2 pieces together.

When you take them apart, be sure to mark the orientation for balance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »
The studs are pressed through to hold the 2 pieces together.

When you take them apart, be sure to mark the orientation for balance.

Thanks for the response and good reco on taking pictures on orientation of the top plates and probably even the location of the studs, but wondering, do you just hammer the studs out, that's mainly what I was trying to figure out is how to get the studs out, and then how to get them back in when your ready to put them back together... just don't want to ruin anything while doing this.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »
Thanks for the response and good reco on taking pictures on orientation of the top plates and probably even the location of the studs, but wondering, do you just hammer the studs out, that's mainly what I was trying to figure out is how to get the studs out, and then how to get them back in when your ready to put them back together... just don't want to ruin anything while doing this.

Use a hydraulic press to remove and replace the studs. Might consider pitting in new studs - your choice.

This does not mean that I haven't beat studs out of axles and hubs (protecting the end and threads)  and reinstalled them using a stack of nuts and washers, just offering a suggestion on how it should be done   ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »

Thanks,

Jason
Do not hammer out the studs .You will deform them. Use a hydraulic press as already mentioned.When you put them back together it might be a good idea to put them on a turning machine to true them up rather then find out the hard way after they are installed on the spindle and driving down the road.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

One note and question, it looks like on originals that the studs are Black Phosphate coated, is that correct? I assume I should send those out to be done while I have them out of the rotors.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

One note and question, it looks like on originals that the studs are Black Phosphate coated, is that correct? I assume I should send those out to be done while I have them out of the rotors.

Believe they were heat treated steel of a higher quality so the final look (and the way they come if you purchase them today) dark bare steel. So phosphating or gun blue repair fluid will both replicate the original look
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
Believe they were heat treated steel of a higher quality so the final look (and the way they come if you purchase them today) dark bare steel. So phosphating or gun blue repair fluid will both replicate the original look
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »

Thanks for the info Jeff, I keep seeing you refer to purchasing new, where can you get these studs?

As for using the originals (which is obviously what I prefer to do, definitely know how to blue, but worried about longevity when it's on something that will be getting messed every time I have to take a wheel off. That's why I thought phostophating, but this is not something I do, so would probably have to find a place to send them out to do that, anyone know of any places they are happy with that will do such a small amount of studs?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
Consider that what every you do - when you install the stud into the rotor you remove the coatings though oiling (should be used in both bluing and phosphating may migrate into the area) as will installing the lug nuts so the platings that go on the surface will not be there after they are installed and used except for the ends of the studs and smaller sections. Think more of a dye than a plating/coating would hold up more in this sort of situation.  But your choice
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
Consider that what every you do - when you install the stud into the rotor you remove the coatings though oiling (should be used in both bluing and phosphating may migrate into the area) as will installing the lug nuts so the platings that go on the surface will not be there after they are installed and used except for the ends of the studs and smaller sections. Think more of a dye than a plating/coating would hold up more in this sort of situation.  But your choice

OK, that makes perfect sense and glad I asked, I guess blueing it is then, easier for me anyway ;)

Thanks Jeff,

Jason

Offline Morsel

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:26 PM »
OK, back to this, I've had the studs press out and getting ready to clean up the rotors and hubs. Next question, there's some pretty good pitting around the outer Kelsey Hayes hub surface where the wheel sit against the hubs. Has anyone gone to the effort of having just that surface machine turned to get a nice smooth surface, or do you not do that and just go with it as is? All the pictures I've seen these surfaces look to be machined smooth... I have a brake shop that said they could do it, but worry about the integrity of the hub by taking material away...

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 01:29:32 AM »
OK, back to this, I've had the studs press out and getting ready to clean up the rotors and hubs. Next question, there's some pretty good pitting around the outer Kelsey Hayes hub surface where the wheel sit against the hubs. Has anyone gone to the effort of having just that surface machine turned to get a nice smooth surface, or do you not do that and just go with it as is? All the pictures I've seen these surfaces look to be machined smooth... I have a brake shop that said they could do it, but worry about the integrity of the hub by taking material away...

Thanks,

Jason
How bad are the pits? As thick as the hub is it would take a lot of machining to effect integrity in a measurable amount IMO. If the pits are that deep you may want to consider another hub.  I honestly have never had to machine them very much to clean up the surface.If I was going to the trouble I would want them to look as good as they could. I suppose you will have to decide what is acceptable.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
How bad are the pits? As thick as the hub is it would take a lot of machining to effect integrity in a measurable amount IMO. If the pits are that deep you may want to consider another hub.  I honestly have never had to machine them very much to clean up the surface.If I was going to the trouble I would want them to look as good as they could. I suppose you will have to decide what is acceptable.

Yes, I shouldn't have to take off much, just was wondering more if anyone else had done this specific thing to the hub portion itself and if there was anything I should be aware of before getting it done, or just live with them pitted or try to find new ones...

Thanks,

Jason

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Yes, I shouldn't have to take off much, just was wondering more if anyone else had done this specific thing to the hub portion itself and if there was anything I should be aware of before getting it done, or just live with them pitted or try to find new ones...

Thanks,

Jason

This whole process is VERY EASY with a brake drum lathe. A few thousandths of an inch will change virtually nothing. Get into the 10's of thousandths... and you will move the wheel inwards the amount that was removed (outside face of hub). On the inside of the hub that faces the rotor, should you also shave that side, you would move the rotor outwards the amount that was removed. The caliper has more than enough room for a 10 thousandths cut. I cannot imagine regular "pitting" is deeper than 5 thousandths.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:50:34 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments