Author Topic: Unrestored Early 66 SJ Convertible Pictures  (Read 311 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored Early 66 SJ Convertible Pictures
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:57 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

The subject of this thread is 6R08A1174xx  -an early GT convertible pony/deluxe interior. Door tag shows a projected build date of 07K and a DSO of 71. As almost always there are a few parts that have been serviced due to age and wear. There are 45 pictures that will be posted so will do it in five posts. Not sure how the change over to storing the pictures, both new and old, since the Photobucket change, will effect is here since we only have a specific amount of storage and increasing it will mean that out annual cost will increase. But storing them "in house" will assure that as long as the site is up the pictures will be visible and useful to members and under current settings non-members.

Hope the sharing of these will help all of our understanding of these cars and foster some discussions.

Exterior/Body

E1

E2 Rear window heat stamp with supplier and date code

E3 Pinch weld black out on rocker panel

E4 B pillar, GT stripe end/ finish and other details

E5 GT stripe finish on door in forward edge at A pillar

E6

E7 Tie down decal and rear valance details

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:44:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored Early 66 SJ Convertible Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
Engine compartment area

EC1

EC2 Top tank of the rarely ordered and now seen desert cooler radiator

EC3 Engine front, radiator shroud and radiator markings

EC4 Voltage regulator

EC5

EC6 Master cylinder

Will do the Interior, Trunk and Undercarriage tomorrow. Need to fix another threads dead PhotoB**t links :(  before I lose their location
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Interior

I1

I2

I3

I4

I5

I6

I7

I8

I9

I10

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
Trunk

T1
Drivers side rear quarter to taillight panel. Painter didn't like/want to bend around and apply allot of paint back towards the taillight pane from inside the trunk on this car so you'll notice uncovered/to top coated primers and sealers in this area across the rear of the compartment on this particular car.

T2 The swipe of sealer across the taillight panel on the drivers side is where it appears that the worker assigned to that task on at least one shift  liked  wipe or clean off the excess off of their rag or brush. I've seen this fairly often but not on all San Jose 66's

T3 Filler tube and passenger side edge of the 66 trunk mat

T4 Passenger side of the taillight panel. Weak application of exterior paint high up on the panel but the painter got close enough in one spot to produce a run. Paint inspectors ignored runs in places like the trunk surfaces and engine compartments since they were not typically viewed nor seen as an eye sore for the customer

T5 Don't know the purpose of the fabric tape. Have never seen another example of a 65 or 66 San Jose with it there. Likely left over from securing the fuel gauge wire attachment to the body/excess that the worker forgot.

T6 A bit of an opps by one of the workers putting together the first panels to make up the unibody. Most likely a new guy as he attached the spare tire hold down in the wrong location though it was caught and another placed in the correct position prior to body color being applied. Sure some of the other workers teased him for this mess up. I wonder how late in the process this was caught since there are no shadows around the rear trunk floor holes a there normally would have been and if the second/correct one was applied later and they applied a coat of body color over the one side if a painter was just instructed to paint the floors over after it was welded in place. It would explain what we are seeing in the pictures.

T7

T8 Drivers side floor, mat underlayment, trunk board and other details normally not seen on an assembled car

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:12:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
And lastly - Undercarriage

U1

U2

U3 Early style motor mounts

U4Lower firewall to floor transition area

U5 These are all the same floor color. Lighting and digital settings make it look very different from picture to picture. Plus it really needed a nice cleaning

U6

U7

U8 Just to remind viewers that the date muffler is dated one month before the projected build date if you follow that sort of detail. Other side is/was dated 8 65 two months prior

U9 Still ahs all the factory brake flex lines

U10 And rear shocks

U11

U12

All done - for now. Hope the posting of these help others with cars built at the same plant and same time period
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:24:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
I wonder if there is any indication in other pictures that the lower control arms had been changed out? A couple things seem to indicate that they had but if it is determined that they hadn't then a couple things seem to be out of the ordinary. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »
I wonder if there is any indication in other pictures that the lower control arms had been changed out? A couple things seem to indicate that they had but if it is determined that they hadn't then a couple things seem to be out of the ordinary.

Those are the only two pictures I have showing the suspension

Car's speedo shows 64,000 miles Being a California car this could be 64K or 164K  given what we see in the condition of the car since weather and conditions are normally very kind - especially if garaged. Real plastic window suggests IMHO that it was cared for and not left out in the sun very often
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:24:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:04:37 AM »
Those are the only two pictures I have showing the suspension

Car's speedo shows 64,000 miles Being a California car this could be 64K or 164K  given what we see in the condition of the car since weather and conditions are normally very kind - especially if garaged. Real plastic window suggests IMHO that it was cared for and not left out in the sun very often
The jack tabs stood out to me as unusual. The ones with the tits sticking out from the sides tend to be on much later 66's from what I have typically seen and ones without to be on 65 and earlier 66. The cotter pins appear to be replacements. That is the reason for my question. It could be a anomaly or another vendor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:07:34 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
The jack tabs stood out to me as unusual. The ones with the tits sticking out from the sides tend to be on much later 66's from what I have typically seen and ones without to be on 65 and earlier 66. The cotter pins appear to be replacements. That is the reason for my question. It could be a anomaly or another vendor.

Interesting that the cotter pins (upper and lower) on that side both look different than typical. Might suggest that they are the result of something else other than replacements. Will have to look at other unrestored cars and their lower a-arm details to see if this example is an orphan or part of a group a group
Jeff Speegle