Author Topic: Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Morsel

Re: Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Thanks guys for the help, I don't think it will change it much, just was checking mainly to see if people had done this, don't think I'll have to shave much off to get it smooth, just really wanted a clean mating surface for the wheel to sit against... definitely will not have to do anything to the back side of the hub and the mating surface there, that looks really clean and good.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
Just keep in mind that the original hub & rotor were balanced AFTER they were assembled so mark your (original) rotors as to align it to the same hole in the hub. This mark can be hidden under the stud.

Most are Century Brand or other aftermarket replacements and differ a bit from original rotors. There is another thread discussing those differences.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Morsel

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Just keep in mind that the original hub & rotor were balanced AFTER they were assembled so mark your (original) rotors as to align it to the same hole in the hub. This mark can be hidden under the stud.

Most are Century Brand or other aftermarket replacements and differ a bit from original rotors. There is another thread discussing those differences.

Yep, these are original Kelsey Hayes and I plan on re-using everything, just cleaning them up and restoring them. Also thanks for the reminder on aligning original placement, they've been completely documented on orientation prior to removing the studs, so I will be able to put them back together exactly as they were for that exact reason of balancing...

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:32 PM »
Back in the last century they used to offer brake drums separate from hubs. In order to separate the two required a cutter that removed the swaging from the stud.
After you received a new drum you put in new studs and then re-swaged the new studs.
This required two special tools.

See this google book chapter on swaging:
https://books.google.com/books?id=mNIhYSCBfmUC&lpg=PA182&ots=EgTXACUYIF&dq=brake%20drum%20swadging&pg=PA182#v=onepage&q=brake%20drum%20swadging&f=false

The K/H disc brake assembly also has this swaging.
Even pressing out the stud is technically incorrect as the sage enlarges the hole in the hub if it's not cut out first.

The saving grace is that new studs usually work well enough and the clamping loads of the "bolt up" hold the whole thing together.

Just offering this as a history lesson, since I haven't seen a cutter or re-swager in decades.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
The K/H disc brake assembly also has this swaging.
Even pressing out the stud is technically incorrect as the sage enlarges the hole in the hub if it's not cut out first.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement on the K/H rotor/hub assembly. I am looking at an original example from my 67 that has the "K/H" marking on the button-end of the wheel stud that has absolutely no sign of ever having been "swagged". This rotor/hub has been on this 67 from day-1 of my owning it since '78. The other side I took apart last year and it was also on the car when bought in '78, also with the "K/H" marked studs without any sign of "swagging" on the studs.

I also have on hand a "CENTURY" branded service replacement that does not have the "swagging".

I would like to hear more about this (your claim) since I only have a few examples on hand to use to determine what would typically be "concours" on any K/H original hub/rotors. Hoping to learn more ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
Fortunately the Ford assemblyline originals, Ford service replacement and the aftermarket Wagner and Raybestos 2 piece rotors pairs that I have on hand  do not have the swagged studs. That swagged stud would make it more difficult in any replacement or restoration scenario unless you had the special tools.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
Yep, my original untouched Kelsey Hayes rotors didn't have them either...

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »
Pretty sure that this is an original 1967 Disc brake rotor. I am showing the KH wheel stud with an 'F' marking for rotors. Does this jibe with all of your findings?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
It is a good idea to have  lug nuts torqued down onto the studs while you are doing the final trueing up of the rotors.  This will ensure the hub is tight to the rotor and similates actual wheel being bolted up.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67