Author Topic: 67 San Jose interior door panels..  (Read 1538 times)

Offline 22mafeja

67 San Jose interior door panels..
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:01:47 AM »
My car is a 65B and has deluxe interior with lower door grilles with speakers and lights.
But the upper panel is standard!
They are the original ones stamped sep6 1966.
I have never seen a 67 deluxe with std door panels, have you?
This is an amazing forum!!

Ralf Nygård
67 coupe sj
64,75 coupe  sj
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:58:54 AM by 22mafeja »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 San Jose interior door panels..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Personally have not seen it before.  Even if the date codes on the back match the car, you'll be hard pressed to convince others they were original to the car.  This would be one of those items I would have to suggest putting back like it was 'supposed' to be.  Otherwise, it will always be questioned.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
Personally have not seen it before.  Even if the date codes on the back match the car, you'll be hard pressed to convince others they were original to the car.  This would be one of those items I would have to suggest putting back like it was 'supposed' to be.  Otherwise, it will always be questioned.

+1

Nice to see another 67 Luxury Coupe out there. Special Order paint too!  8)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I would respectfully disagree. I would put it back the way it was. There maybe a time when we find out this was acceptable or done for a reason. Why erase your cars history and make it look like every other car?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
I think it is safer to assume that the panels are not original.  We don't know the history and 50 years have transpired.  September door panels on a January car, considering basic black, stands out as odd
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
I think it is safer to assume that the panels are not original.  We don't know the history and 50 years have transpired.  September door panels on a January car, considering basic black, stands out as odd

There would be "tells" if the doors are original to the OP's car AND came with deluxe door panels. Look for holes where the bracket for the deluxe armrest pull-cups would have originally attached. I also find it interesting the original poster claims the car had speakers in the doors. His report shows AM radio which would not have came with speakers in the doors. Perhaps he his trying to indicate either speakers were added into the doors or as is typical, the speaker grills were present on his doors (standard equipment on all Interior Decor units) but mistakenly on the line, the standard interior trim panels were installed. (anomily)

My thoughts are, that if the doors are original to the car, there will be holes drilled in places that suggest that the original Deluxe panels were indeed originally installed. If perhaps the doors prove to be original to the car (correct date codes on sheet metal) AND evidence suggests the deluxe panels WERE NEVER INSTALLED on this example (w/o holes ~again, though I highly doubt that), AND the O.P. (Owner) wishes to put it back as he found it, be prepared to provide documentation of his "evidence" at any judged event PRIOR to judging...but also be prepared for whatever the judges ultimately decide.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:31:31 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
Richard beat me to it.

In 67, AM radio was monaural through the dash speaker
AM/FM was also monaural through the dash speaker.
The only factory door speaker possibility was on the AM/8-track radio in that year.
Stereo AM/FM came out in 68.

I suppose it's possible that the AM/8-track was added as a dealer option.
But without paperwork . . .
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Just an observation those door panel dates, when compared to the build date of the car, are a long stretch of time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »
If the doors originally had the door grills and lights they will also have the square hole with nylon inserts to attach the door grills. If the doors have been replaced chances are more likely they would be replaced with a standard door because those are far more common. Not too many restorers will take the time to make square holes for the nylon inserts for the grill screws. Since the inserts are not seen they typically get the grill screws installed in holes drilled in the sheet metal of the replacement standard door .There was a time when after market deluxe door panels were not available . I can think of a possible scenario where replacement doors were sourced and or standard door panels sourced because they hold up in good shape used more so then the deluxe door panels who's arm rests are prone to cracking. Maybe not what happened but just thinking of a alternate possibility.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:52:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »
Interesting!
Here are pictures that show that the speaker holes are home made (so look the ford ones too) but as you can see these are clearly deluxe doors since
the light holes are there.
There are four fasteners at the midsection, two are for the std armrests but the two others I don`t know about.
The doors are both made 11 month of 66 and they are the original ones. I can tell since there were the charcoal grey
under the handles and besides it just one layer with white respray made sometimes loong ago. I know tha cars whereabouts since 1995.
For me it`s just fun to share! I am going to use the new standard ones anyway.

Ralf

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
After seeing your pictures, if I were you, I would source what is needed to put the deluxe door panels back.

Your pictures do prove that those doors were originally Deluxe Doors (clips are even present for the center pull-pockets...earlier I mentioned "holes", but the clips are where those pockets attach).

Yes, the speaker holes were added in, those holes are not cut the way Ford typically cut the holes.
The door, inside as well, has been re-painted. Paint overspray onto many items, so not as Ford did it (and looks to not be a Ford interior color.

IMHO, I would estimate the door sheet metal ought to be about 10-15 days prior to actual build date so the dates may be questionable, just saying. Jeff might have more info about that subject than I would. Sometimes there are strikes and plant shut-downs that move dates back a little but I am unaware of anything that might justify a long reach of over 2-months for an early January 1967 built car.
You might take note of other various dates of sheet metal around the car. Years ago, the bolt-on parts were often changed for even the smallest amount of damage since there were so, so many around in salvage yards for many years. You might take notes on dates found in the unibody construction to get you a 'closer to typical' average date, a date that would be similar to what you would expect to also find on your doors. I have found the span of dates typically found on a car with all of it's original sheet metal are within a few weeks of the oldes date to the newest date and generally precede the ACTUAL build date by a week to 3 weeks at most. Usually the dates that are the furthest away from the actual build date are items like brackets and small sheet stampings, not items like fenders, doors, hoods and such.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:38:01 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
I think you found your answer

The doors are both made 11 month of 66 and they are the original ones. I can tell since there were the charcoal grey

The charcoal grey that you show is not the original paint so IMHO you can't use that to determine if the doors are the originals. Pattern of application and even the finish appear to indicate that 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
The doors are resprayed by myself last year. I know the color should have been black.
I found stamp 11 21 2W on the right side quarter panel on the trunk side.
 Ralf

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
The doors are resprayed by myself last year. I know the color should have been black.
I found stamp 11 21 2W on the right side quarter panel on the trunk side.
 Ralf

No the correct color for a black interior in 67 would have been dark charcoal metallic (though in egg shell not glossy) applied before the body color but the mask (to protect the finish from the exterior color application) would not have originally covered the cut out area behind the door panel

Spread on the date codes for sheet metal will vary in time based on the particular part and production period at the plant from the collection I have
Jeff Speegle

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
Thank you all for the answers, impressing knowledge out there!
I will show the rh front framerail because I thought it was remarkably "old" or isn`t this a date stamping?
Also attached a picture of the rh rear quarter stamping.

Ralf