Author Topic: How do I get a dull aluminum finish on a 2100 / 4100 carb.  (Read 3791 times)

Offline 66candy

• 66 Mustang Convertible Phote Book Restoration
How do I get a dull aluminum finish on a 2100 / 4100 carb.
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »
I spend hours and hours to clean my Autolite 4100 carburetor. It's as clean as it can get but I don't like the result. It too shiny. I think my Dremel wirebrush combination had a polishing effect on the aluminum. Is there a way to get it dull again? I tried a few chemicals but all my attempts failed so far.

Here's a picture:

Erwin, The Netherlands

66 Red Convertible, 289/4V AT/PS/PDB/PT

Offline RogerArrick

Re: How do I get a dull aluminum finish on a 2100 / 4100 carb.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
I don't know the answer but I'm about to have the same question when I start my 2100 carb restore. 

I'm thinking the pros might blast with a secret formula like walnut shells or something, but you'd have to be REAL careful to clean out the left-overs. 

Another option is to soda-blast them with a DIY gun.  I recently did this and it worked pretty good.
http://www.rogerarrick.com/sodablaster/

You might try a simple scotch-brite pad too.  That might just do the trick.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:39:14 PM »
I can tell you that walnut shells does absolutely nothing other than clean the surface.

Have not tried many methods to get the finish back, but it is one of the more difficult pieces to get right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:43:20 AM »
Might try wheel cleaner (a light acid) - remember to keep it moist and the liquid moving (not setting on the surface) as it can create different patterns. Have used it for dulling other cast and plated items
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
Might try wheel cleaner (a light acid) - remember to keep it moist and the liquid moving (not setting on the surface) as it can create different patterns. Have used it for dulling other cast and plated items
I use Eagle 1 CHROME and WIRE WHEEL Cleaner. The regular Eagle wheel cleaner and many other brands do not have enough acid in them to have a efffect.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby