Author Topic: Paint color  (Read 829 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Paint color
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
My '65 fastback is about to go to paint and my painter is suggesting PPG paint because of its reputation for a quality product.  My concern at this point is how to make sure I get my Rangoon Red mixed correctly to match the original Ford color as closely as possible.  I've seen any number of Rangoon Red cars over the years with wildly different shades of red--some looking very much like the Rangoon Red I've seen on original cars in the past, but others looking way too light or way too dark when compared to Ford's original Rangoon Red.  I would appreciate any pointers on how to ensure that I get the correct shade of red on my car.  Is there a specific PPG color code or formula I should be discussing with my painter, or is it a matter of hit-and-miss with color samples he'll have to spray for me until we get it right?  My hope would be that someone on the forum has already gone through this, found the correct Rangoon Red color and can give me the paint codes, etc.  This will be a single-stage paint project--no clear coat.  Thanks in advance for any pointers/suggestions.  Ron

Offline jwc66k

Re: Paint color
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »
I've seen any number of Rangoon Red cars over the years with wildly different shades of red--some looking very much like the Rangoon Red I've seen on original cars in the past,
One of the problems with lighter colored cars is the primer. Rangoon Red painted over gray, red or black primer will look different. Gray primer will give a lighter red, red primer a redder red (sounds like a TV ad) and black primer a darker red. Also after 50 years, it is difficult to compare an original finish to today's, a 1965 photograph is difficult to color correct. (Time is not your friend.) Even my color chips have faded, but I included one anyway.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »
My '65 fastback is about to go to paint and my painter is suggesting PPG paint because of its reputation for a quality product.  My concern at this point is how to make sure I get my Rangoon Red mixed correctly to match the original Ford color as closely as possible. .....................

Guess you have no place on the body (or the car has already been stripped) where the original paint remains. On a 65-6  cowl behind the fender, door jambs, trunk hinge or trunk hinge support bracket in the trunk, behind the head light bezel/ring (either on them or the head light bucket, just some of the possibilities
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
Guess you have no place on the body (or the car has already been stripped) where the original paint remains. On a 65-6  cowl behind the fender, door jambs, trunk hinge or trunk hinge support bracket in the trunk, behind the head light bezel/ring (either on them or the head light bucket, just some of the possibilities
In addition to those locations, check the area under the dash pad just behind the windshield.  This area often gets painted when the cowl gets paint and is often covered up soon thereafter by the dash pad.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com