Author Topic: Rear Shock Paint Markings if any  (Read 1532 times)

Offline petersixtfive

Rear Shock Paint Markings if any
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »
Merry Xmas to all
Any advice on whether there was paint daubs on original rear shocks for a SJ June built GT fastback
If there were paint marks what colour would they have been?
I have restored a set of correct date coded originals and will install them shortly
Any help or advice appreciated
Thanks
Peter
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rear Shock Paint Markings if any
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Yes they would have had a paint mark so that workers on the line could quickly identify (from the buildsheet or memory) what shock was needed and where to grab it from

Would need allot more information/details to try and match up what was correct for your car. If your certain the shock you have are correct for your application you could start by providing their engineering numbers and your cars details 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »
For reference (The High Performance Mustang, 4th ed, p178), the shocks should be the same for HP Mustangs and factory GT optioned "A" codes. The HP Mustang book lists C4ZF-18080-A, -B or -C with white stripe on "lower end of upped bell", as original equipment. There are other service numbers listed. The shocks should be gloss black.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »
For reference (The High Performance Mustang, 4th ed, p178), the shocks should be the same for HP Mustangs and factory GT optioned "A" codes. The HP Mustang book lists C4ZF-18080-A, -B or -C with white stripe on "lower end of upped bell", as original equipment.

Wonder (any idea?) where this info came from. Never seen one marked there (original or NOS) and there is no upper bell on the front shocks. Have a chart from another publication that shows different applications - but will not post since I don't know where that author got their info.

............... The shocks should be gloss black.

I would suggest semi-gloss.  Have found NOS versions slightly (or more glossy) or a flatter black. Originals (with age) appear to be semi-gloss.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:59:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:45 PM »
Wonder (any idea?) where this info came from. Never seen one marked there (original or NOS) and there is no upper bell on the front shocks.
Any advice on whether there was paint daubs on original rear shocks for a SJ June built GT fastback
For reference (The High Performance Mustang, 4th ed, p178), the shocks should be the same for HP Mustangs and factory GT optioned "A" codes.
You got to reference someone, sometime. In this case, Tony Gregory (who wrote the HP book).
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:56:28 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Jim
More details as requested
Vin is 5R09A238xxx
Door tag date 28T
Images are one of the restored shocks + some Harris bushings
Gloss level on the painted shocks is a tad more than semi gloss, but not full gloss
Thanks
Peter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:59:36 AM by petersixtfive »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
You got to reference someone, sometime. In this case, Tony Gregory (who wrote the HP book).
Jim

Sorry Jim I was looking at the fronts not the rears and for the rears  :(  we (you me and Mr Gregory) agree on the number.

Do have a number of -C rear shocks that have been posted online and others I have pictures of but they all have the same non-white identification daub

(space saved for pictures :) 

Jeff Speegle

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 03:51:36 AM »
Hi Jeff
Could you clarify non white ?
Or should it be a shade of green as per fronts?
Also mounting hardware clear zinc or phosphate and oil
Thanks
Peter

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
Also mounting hardware clear zinc or phosphate and oil
The only available documentation, the 64 Mustang Chassis Manual, shows four each 34664-S8, 3/8-24NUT,0.320-0.336T,EXT LKW,9/16HEX for all rear shocks. It is clear zinc.
The pictures of rear shocks with markings that Jeff has do not call out the part numbers. There were three replacement shocks (kits) referenced in the 75 MPC for 64-66 use, C1DZ-18125-G (std), C4DZ-18125-D (XD) and C5ZZ-18125-E (Super flex). I believe your application, a 65 GT, should use the same shock as the HP. That shock is documented as having a white stripe. I do not know what other colors were used to identify non-HP shocks.
Jim
Corrected the nut p/n.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:49:14 PM by jwc66k »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi Jeff
Could you clarify non white ?
Or should it be a shade of green as per fronts?

So here is what I'm seeing. The "book" reports that the rear shocks should be marked white on the top bell of the shock a location that I've never seen, have documentation nor pictures of on 65-66 shocks.

Not aware of mixing one color mark for the fronts and a different one on the rears for 65-66 Mustang Shocks.

Other owners have submitted pictures of their FoMoCo and Autolite marked shocks as well as comments online in the past for their GT cars and each has shown or indicated a light washed out or light teal sort of color.  Just providing you with what I have so you can make your choice

Will find and post a few pictures
Jeff Speegle