Author Topic: Rear Drum Brake Spring Colors  (Read 793 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Rear Drum Brake Spring Colors
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
A majority of the paint was missing or difficult to identify on my '67

Everything looks much like what I see in another thread for 65-66 Mustangs.

One color I was unable to make out in particular was the oval-shaped spring on the brake equalizer bar. One image from the other thread looks red or orange or red-orange. Jeff's looks closer. What I could see on my original looked more brown also but fluid leaking onto it had stripped a lot of paint away.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:15:04 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rear Drum Brake Spring Colors
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
The oval spring was originally a reddish-brown.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
I changed the picture I used before, I meant to also use Jeff's image from the other thread (besides, my attempt to copy the other image failed). Jeff's image shows a brownish-red.

Now on the round anchor springs that attach the shoes to the backing plate with the pins & discs. I had two types of springs, 3 of them were light blue and the coils wound one direction, but the last one of the 4 was different, wound the other direction. I didn't sort this out before tumbling them. I also did not notice a different color, assumed them all as light blue. One side backing plate was Kelsey Hayes and the other was Bendix, supposedly things are different between the two suppliers and I found the majority of those differences already and managed to keep track on all except these 4 springs.

I bought another Bendix spring kit and Bendix adjuster cables to assist in getting nicely painted springs. The 4 anchor springs in the new set (that used to be light blue originally) came in purple :(

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:23:18 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
That pic is from a car I restored, a '65 K convertible (2/65 San Jose build).  There are 2 errors in that... the shoe spring that holds the one with the park brake lever should be black.  Also, the cups for the shoe springs should be zinc w/dichromate (gold).

In regards to the colors, there would be slight variance between where/when they were made.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »
Thank you Charles.

Any idea about that 1-oddball, backwards wound spring? Is that one of the ones that should be black perhaps?

Richard Urch

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »
When you state backwards wound spring, are you referring to the type that is larger on one end than the other?  If so, those are replacement style.  The black ones look the same as the blue ones.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »
When you state backwards wound spring, are you referring to the type that is larger on one end than the other?  If so, those are replacement style.  The black ones look the same as the blue ones.

Sorry it took long to get back to this. Look at the attached picture. The spring on the right, with the pen pointing at it is wound in the opposite direction as the other 3 that are for anchoring the shoes to the backing plates (with the discs and pins).

Now, I painted the springs according to one black and one blue each side but at this juncture, I wonder if the difference is actually in the spring's winding direction, not position (read as forward position or rearward position). I also wonder if only one maker (Bendix or K/H) used the backwards-wound spring. I have only one that was of this kind but I have one each backing plate (one Kelsey Hayes and one Bendix backing plates). I have no reason to think or any knowledge that any of the springs have been changed before. I suspected perhaps one had gotten lost somewhere in the ar's service history but the evantugby had the very same spring on the example he is currently working on...

Maybe other examples will show up to help with this detail. Obviously, it is trivial...but we seem to focus on such things here all of the time!

ALSO: Looking for the Kelsey Hayes, herringbone rubber plug, just one for the one side. I have found the 8A version as a pair and will trade if somebody needs just one of them for a K/H one.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:33:16 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch