Author Topic: 1967 Shelby GT500 428PI Engine - For Sale  (Read 2594 times)

Offline tyfaciane

1967 Shelby GT500 428PI Engine - For Sale
« on: February 05, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
I have a beautiful recreated/restored 1967 428PI Shelby GT500 Engine For Sale

(I uploaded both pictures - before and after I removed the background - so you can see this is a picture of the actual engine that you will receive)

This is a good starting point for a highly detailed, show car quality engine.

The parts I collected - the hard parts (block, crank, heads, intake.... the rods are C6AE-C 3/8" ARP Bolts????) to build this engine are all RARE and EXPENSIVE parts.

The engine actually includes the power steering pump, (all 67 GT500s had power steering), belts, hoses, alternator and engine gauge harnesses, and the engine cooling fan/clutch assembly. I haven't added them, because I still have to crank, run and perform the camshaft /lifter break-in. It is balanced with a flexplate and flywheel one is included - your choice. The engine includes a starter, exhaust donut gaskets and motor mounts too. I turn over my engines to the new owner COMPLETE, having already run and with the camshaft/lifter break-in already done. Install, connect, crank, run and drive - yes it is a driver-quality engine.

Here are some of the parts, and their costs:
Engine Block........................C6MEA, Date Code 7B17
Heads....................................C7AE-A, Date Code 7E15 (Both).............$1700.00 - rebuilt with viton seals, and CJ Valves
Harmonic Balancer...............C6AE-6316-A.............................................$875.00
Crankshaft Pulley................C1AE-6312-A..............................................$275.00
Intake Manifold...................C7ZX-9425-A..............................................$1500.00
Carburetors........................C3AE-9510-BJ/BK.......................................$1550.00/pr. Holley Re-Issue
Distributor...........................C5AE-12127-E............................................$650.00
Fuel Pump...........................??????........................................................$275.00
Exhaust Manifolds...............C7OE-9431-A/C7OE-9430-C......................$450.00

This is a freshly rebuilt engine; I built it with the idea/intent of a 1967 Shelby GT500 Restoration, a 1967 Shelby GT500 Clone or an Eleanor Build. I have built 5 428CJ Engines in the past 2-years. While searching/shopping for 428CJ Components I happened upon the C7AE-A heads and set my sights on searching for a 1967 428PI Block for the 50th Anniversary of the Shelby GT500. This engine is the results of a 1-1/2 year parts search that began late in 2016.

This was very expensive to build - Parts and machine work for the block was actually more than $4000.00. The price for the heads above include acquiring the heads, the parts and labor to get them reconditioned.

Tyrone (334)477-4146
cyberjunk@roadrunner.com

$17,500 firm.

(Once again, I uploaded both pictures so you can see this is a picture of the actual engine that you will receive)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:27:53 AM by tyfaciane »
1969 Mustang 428CJ, 4-Speed, Silver Jade
2012 Ford Shelby GT500, Grabber Blue w/ White

Hobby: Collecting Parts and Building Ford FE Performance Engines - 428PI, 428CJ, 428SCJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby GT500 428PI Engine - For Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
I have a beautiful recreated/restored 1967 428PI Shelby GT500 Engine For Sale

(I uploaded both pictures - before and after I removed the background - so you can see this is a picture of the actual engine that you will receive)

This is a highly detailed, CORRECT, show car quality engine.

The parts I collected to build this engine are correct for the 1967 Shelby GT500 428PI Engine. They are all RARE and EXPENSIVE parts.

The engine actually includes the power steering pump, (all 67 GT500s had power steering), belts, hoses, alternator and engine gage harnesses, and the engine cooling fan/clutch assembly. I haven't added them, because I still have to crank, run and perform the camshaft /lifter break-in. It is balanced with a flexplate and flywheel one is included - your choice. The engine includes a starter, exhaust donut gaskets and motor mounts too.

I turn over my engines to the new owner COMPLETE, having already run and with the camshaft/lifter break-in already done. Install, connect, crank, run and drive

Here are some of the parts, and their costs:
Engine Block........................C6MEA, Date Code 7B17
Heads....................................C7AE-A, Date Code 7E15 (Both).............$1700.00 - rebuilt with viton seals, and CJ Valves
Harmonic Balancer...............C6AE-6316-A.............................................$875.00
Crankshaft Pulley.................C1AE-6312-A..............................................$275.00
Intake Manifold....................C7ZX-9425-A............................................$1500.00
Carburetors...........................C3AE-9510-BJ/BK....................................$1550.00/pr. Holley Re-Issue
Distributor............................C5AE-12127-E............................................$650.00
Fuel Pump............................4194S...........................................................$275.00
Exhaust Manifolds...............C6AE/C7AE................................................$450.00

This is a freshly rebuilt engine; I built it with the idea/intent of a 1967 Shelby GT500 Restoration, a 1967 Shelby GT500 Clone or an Eleanor Build. I have built 5 428CJ Engines in the past 2-years. While searching/shopping for 428CJ Components I happened upon the C7AE-A heads and set my sights on searching for a 1967 428PI Block for the 50th Anniversary of the Shelby GT500. This engine is the results of a 1-1/2 year parts search that began late in 2016.

This was very expensive to build - Parts and machine work for the block was near $4000.00. The price for the heads above include acquiring the heads, the parts and labor to get them reconditioned.

Tyrone (334)477-4146
cyberjunk@roadrunner.com

$17,500 firm.

(Once again, I uploaded both pictures so you can see this is a picture of the actual engine that you will receive)
When you make a comment about how concours correct the picture of a engine is on a forum dominated with people who are knowledgably about the specifics you have got to be prepared for some push back in that regard if it is not. With that said there are numerous incorrect assemblyline details on the engine that would result in deductions if put in competition as it sits in MCA trailered or SAAC DIVII classes. That is only the items that are visible in the picture . There are most likely more items that are not visible form the picture angle but would be more visible in person that would need to be addressed. Some of the items like air cleaner and fuel pump are expensive to correct . Other items may just need to be adjusted in paint finish , material finish, placement on engine and or inexpensive correct replacement part .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tyfaciane

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Oh boy.

I only claim to have researched (loosely) the correct casting numbers, spent a whole lotta money collecting parts and a whole lot more money on machine work and assembly labor to get this put together.

I just figured it would be a good starting point for someone who has little or nothing,  they could add the finishing details like paint marks, barter, trade, swap for date code correct components, etc....

I’d barely break even at my list price, and if I gave myself $2 an hour for my time invested I’d easily be at $1000 loss.  There is no way someone could start with nothing and arrive at the point where this engine is for less money.

I have been to 1 car show (a mopar club), and I have never been to a swap meet - maybe that’s why I spent so much on my parts. In other words I know very little about the intricate details about concours correct.

Everybody can look at my engine with their SCCA or MCA eyes or wanna be SCCA, MCA eyes.  It only takes 1 body to see this engine as the excellent starting point to a beautiful, highly detailed, accurate and correct recreation that it is.

I’ve sold 4 of those 5 428CJ Engines I have built, one is still at my house, and #6 is at my machinist’s shop. With each of those, amongst the 100s or 1000s of critics, it only took 1 who wanted it - those sell for $15,500.

Make no mistake about it the workmanship, craftsmanship and quality going into the machine work, block and head work and assembly are second to none.  My machinist has been in business since 1969 - same location - same phone number.  He and his son build and race a 3000hp drag car and win races and set track records all over the southeast - Carolinas to Texas - Tennessee to Florida and racing is their hobby. Machine work and engine building is their business.

I collect parts and assemble the external components of these engines as a hobby.  I retired from 20-years of active duty military service, and I’m currently working towards my second retirement. I do this because I enjoy it - not for the money as I’d be losing on each venture.

You’re getting a good engine, and it’s absolutely beautiful and it’s best qualities can’t be seen.

Hobby: Collecting Parts and Building Ford FE Performance Engines - 428PI, 428CJ, 428SCJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:03:24 AM »
Oh boy.

I only claim to have researched (loosely) the correct casting numbers, spent a whole lotta money collecting parts and a whole lot more money on machine work and assembly labor to get this put together.

I just figured it would be a good starting point for someone who has little or nothing,  they could add the finishing details like paint marks, barter, trade, swap for date code correct components, etc....

I’d barely break even at my list price, and if I gave myself $2 an hour for my time invested I’d easily be at $1000 loss.  There is no way someone could start with nothing and arrive at the point where this engine is for less money.

I have been to 1 car show (a mopar club), and I have never been to a swap meet - maybe that’s why I spent so much on my parts. In other words I know very little about the intricate details about concours correct.

Everybody can look at my engine with their SCCA or MCA eyes or wanna be SCCA, MCA eyes.  It only takes 1 body to see this engine as the excellent starting point to a beautiful, highly detailed, accurate and correct recreation that it is.

I’ve sold 4 of those 5 428CJ Engines I have built, one is still at my house, and #6 is at my machinist’s shop. With each of those, amongst the 100s or 1000s of critics, it only took 1 who wanted it - those sell for $15,500.

Make no mistake about it the workmanship, craftsmanship and quality going into the machine work, block and head work and assembly are second to none.  My machinist has been in business since 1969 - same location - same phone number.  He and his son build and race a 3000hp drag car and win races and set track records all over the southeast - Carolinas to Texas - Tennessee to Florida and racing is their hobby. Machine work and engine building is their business.

I collect parts and assemble the external components of these engines as a hobby.  I retired from 20-years of active duty military service, and I’m currently working towards my second retirement. I do this because I enjoy it - not for the money as I’d be losing on each venture.

You’re getting a good engine, and it’s absolutely beautiful and it’s best qualities can’t be seen.
I don't want to seem argumentative but you did claim that "This is a highly detailed, CORRECT, show car quality engine.". I am sorry to say the engine details are far from CORRECT concours assemblyline wise.

"The parts I collected to build this engine are correct for the 1967 Shelby GT500 428PI Engine." is another claim that is not quite accurate . The fuelpump is for a 390 not a GT500 .There are a few other parts that are not correct for a GT500 ether.  The point I was trying to make was although very nice looking it is not prudent to deal in absolutes like your statement/claim  "CORRECT" which leaves no wiggle room on your part for anything that is not CORRECT. The engine appears to be as you amended in your post as a very good starting point for a correctly detailed 67 GT500 . FYI it is SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club) and not SCCA .  SAAC is the group that keeps the registry for the 65-70 Shelby's and the recognized world accumulative authority on the subject for many decades now. I am a concours judge for 65-70 Shelby's for both MCA and SAAC like others here that are part of this forum. Like I said when you posts those absolutes on this concours forum that don't ring true expect some push back. Amend your statements to be more factual and I will delete my posts. That way I can wish you the best of luck with your sale. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tyfaciane

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Wow.

I’m both impressed and disappointed - I bought that fuel pump from Cobranda.  A few weeks later I called and was ordering several fuel, PCV and other dress-up parts and mentioned I had previously bought valve covers, fuel pump.... he interrupted me and insisted that I had not bought a fuel pump from them. I didn’t worry about it; I just continued with my order.

SCCA - I’m sorry; I’m actually laughing at myself now. I think that’s a race car sanctioning body or something like that.  Oh and I certainly didn’t mean you or any other actual MCA or SAAC officials as a “wanna be” - that was intended for the critics who are not.

It’s actually ok - your posts; I think my engine is a beautiful recreation, and I’d NEVER try to mislead anyone, in any way.  Anyone, buying anything from me should know exactly what they’re getting.  Anything I say is 100% true to the best of my knowledge - albeit highly opinionated and subject to my growing knowledge and understanding - slightly biased as I am the creator (I built the engine).

The core parts/elements of the engine are CORRECT:
block (PI, re-enforced main crank webs, date code), heads (C7AE-A - original 14-bolt exhaust pattern), intake manifold (C7ZX casting #, ford oval script logo), exhaust manifolds, Ford 1U Crankshaft, Harmonic Balancer, Crank Pulley, Water Pump Pulley...

When I say loosely researched, I actually put a great deal of effort into finding the correct parts for this engine, but at a point I have to get the project to a point where I will place it for sale.  Some parts, one could spend a lifetime looking for; some parts are just not economically available - they would just place the engine outside the range of anyone buying it.

I think if we placed this engine in front of 100 Mustang and/or Shelby enthusiasts (who are not MCA or SAAC Judges) and asked what car does this engine belong in, the majority would answer, "A 1967 Shelby GT500".  I didn't realize when I said "CORRECT" I was saying "Concourse Correct" - heck, I even had to go and look up the phrase after I was blasted.

Anyway - the engine is (at it's core CORRECT) Aesthetically Correct.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:37:52 PM by tyfaciane »