Author Topic: Spindle Paint Marks on 1966 Metuchen built K-code  (Read 2030 times)

Offline evantugby

Spindle Paint Marks on 1966 Metuchen built K-code
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Gents,
I've reviewed a few posts on this site and didn't find any comments pertaining to found paint marks on spindles for my kar.  Tony Gregory's book indicates pink dot on each side but I've seen different markings on SJ built kars. 

Question 1:  What does your research show for paint markings on Metuchen?
Question 2:  Also how are you replicating the smaller machined surfaces where the four bolts/nuts mount the backing plate and spindle together?  I don't have anything small enough to put on my wizzy-wheel for this small circular area. 

Thanks,

Evan
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

Re: Spindle Paint Marks on 1966 Metuchen built K-code
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:56:46 PM »
Is this a difficult one?

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Is this a difficult one?

Yes in ways it is.

As for your small machined surfaces try a Drimmel (s?) tool or a knock off of one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
Have you tried soaking the spindles in evaporust?  They make a big 5 gallon bucket you can order from O'reilly Auto which is perfect and big enough to soak them in. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
Jeff,
Great idea on the dremel.  I do have one of those but which attachment/material?   

Chris,
My spindles have been blasted, blued, quenched in oil and wiped with a steel wool already.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:19:35 PM by evantugby »

Offline rrenz

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:03:35 PM »
 I do have one of those but which attachment/material?

One of those sanding drums would work well. You don't want to gouge the metal surface with a stone bit. A higher grit sand paper would replicate a machined surface well without leaving inconsistent marks.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
I do have one of those but which attachment/material?

One of those sanding drums would work well. You don't want to gouge the metal surface with a stone bit. A higher grit sand paper would replicate a machined surface well without leaving inconsistent marks.

How about instead of the sand paper drum, what about one of these 3/4" dremel discs? 

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/412-sanding-discs-220-grit

Offline rrenz

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
That would work well also. I wouldn't go any lower than a 220 Grit.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline evantugby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:32 AM »
The disc work better than the drums. The disc will give you better results IMHO in quicker fashion while keeping the finishing focused on the surface you want brightened

Purchase the knock offs and get them in bulk (the tubes) You'll go through a fair number of them

On the surfaces you can get to with a hand block and paper finish them that way so that you don't end up with swirl marks

The stone attachments can be used cleaning up edges, removing burrs or other minor damage

Wire brush attachments to brighten those hard to reach spots

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:48:14 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
Back to the original question though: what paint marks are found on spindles? 

Tony Gregory doesn't even mention spindle paint daubs in his book on the HiPo Mustang, although he mentions a whole litany of other parts with paint marks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
Back to the original question though: what paint marks are found on spindles? 

Its always a concern since we know this is an open section of the site that non-members can view and not everyone does their own research. Many will grab the first thing they see and will apply it to their car without regard to plant, year or production period so I hope you can understand that concern.

Remember that colors is only a small part of the detail. How it was applied and where it was applied matters also. As years go by it seems that we're deducting more and more for incorrect paint marks at shows that we have in past years while one would believe the information availability has improved.

For a Fall 1965 (66 production)  V8 front spindle I have examples of a large pink and yellow paint mark on the outside, top and bottom of the steering arms of both spindles (pink then yellow)  and a small yellow daub on the wheel side of the upper ball joint knuckle

Tony Gregory doesn't even mention spindle paint daubs in his book on the HiPo Mustang, although he mentions a whole litany of other parts with paint marks.

Not sure why you keep mentioning this reference. Not sure what his reference points were from or when the information was assembled so can't suggest following any of it. Just  me
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
Not sure why you keep mentioning this reference. Not sure what his reference points were from or when the information was assembled so can't suggest following any of it. Just  me
Tony Gregory authored "The 289 High Performance Mustang". The latest version is the 4th edition published in 2006. Contributors include a couple of MCA Gold Card Judges, Bob Perkins, Max Kotlowski, Jon Enyeart, and others.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
Tony Gregory authored "The 289 High Performance Mustang". The latest version is the 4th edition published in 2006. Contributors include a couple of MCA Gold Card Judges, Bob Perkins, Max Kotlowski, Jon Enyeart, and others.
Jim

Thanks but was referring to the paint markings and those specifics
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
Its always a concern since we know this is an open section of the site that non-members can view and not everyone does their own research. Many will grab the first thing they see and will apply it to their car without regard to plant, year or production period so I hope you can understand that concern.

100% understand this concern.

Unrelated to the thread discussion but pertains to posting images of markings in the "open forum" of this site.

QUESTION: Is it wise to have the "Member Restoration/Builds" section open to non-members? I have recently posted some images that COULD be misused without research too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments