Author Topic: 66 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen Findings  (Read 9548 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
66 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen Findings
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »
So here is another Running Changes thread this time focused on 66 Metuchen Mustangs. We'll follow the same post, discuss  (if need be if it belongs), add to the list, then delete the suggestion to keep the thread compact and up to date as much as possible.  So post what you understand was affected by running changes and I'll keep an ongoing list here in the first post. Some of these will likely match other plants fairly close and some items will list the dates from the TSB and other supporting documents also as we have elsewhere.  From there we'll collect data, assemble the first report and see how it works.

To keep the thread from getting too long or out of hand please don't post that you found this version or that on car 6F07C2345xx (for example). We can save that for the research period and for the individual change threads. Just trying to identify the features during this first effort. Will break out the findings by plant of course.  Hope we can work through other plants also

Drivetrain

Engine

E1- V8 motor mount style - Currently have the change possibly taking place in the 130xxx-140000 range MPC list the change being made on Nov 1 1965
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25068.new#new

E2- Hipo/K Code Alternator pulley and fan change -

E3- V8 Head design change -

E4- V8 Intake end gasket change -

E5- V8 Valve spring change (Engine #10 Change) -

E6- V8 Piston change. -

E7- V8 Valve cover change - BM reference

E8- Ignition coil marking - FoMoCo to AUTOLITE- Marking changed at the plant that supplied the coils somewhere between March and May 1966
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2947.new#new
E9-

E10-

Transmission

TR1- Manual transmission clutch changes - numerous related changes (Reference 2/14/66)

TR2- 3 and 4 Speed lower shifter boot - Add to production approximately Feb. 16, 1966 
         http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18346.new#new

TR3- Upper clutch release lever spring change - Spring, attachment bracket, Z bar.

TR4-

TR5-

Rearend

R1-  9"/K-code differential housing from round to hump -

R2-

R3-

Engine Compartment

EC1- Inner fender panel/battery box positive cable shield (stapled - plastic rivets)

EC2- Disc Brake Master Cylinder change - Change of brake line attachment and dating styles

EC3- Addition of an upper clutch spring firewall anchor bracket hole under master cylinder. MPC notes change incorporated at all three plants on Feb 16 1966.

EC4- Starter Solenoid
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27544.0

EC5-

EC6-

Exterior

EX1- Hood frame design changes -

EX2- Drivers side fender lip reliefs  (raised triangles). Took place (fender stamping date) from Jan 14-18th 1966 according to findings.
         http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1399.msg119005#msg119005

EX3- Rear valance screws -

EX4- GT Emblem - Changed from plastic to metal and ceramic -
       http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0
       Thread includes both 65 & 66 NJ findings since it was started before the years were separated.

EX5-

EX6-

EX7-

Interior

I1- 4 way flasher wire loom - Separate or integrated with dash loom -

I2- Tire pressure decal location - Change from applied to the glove box door to applied to the back surface of the glove box liner
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27535.0

I3- 

Trunk

T1-

T2- Fastback passenger side trap door surround panel - Use and application of the flat and dimpled panel. 
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=29489.0

Undercarriage

U1- Rear V8 brake cylinders from 29/32" to 7/8" -

U2- Rear backing plate knock-outs for brake shoe adjustment - Started during the last few months of 65 production so not a 66 change
         http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15041.msg93741#msg93741

Last Updated - 2/8/2023
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 05:25:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

Re: 66 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen Findings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
I will kick this off for 6T09K127*** bucked on October 13. As I am typing this, maybe another change specific to Metuchen is buck tag location which for this car is on passenger side apron next to shock tower

E1: Solid 65 style HiPo mounts
E2: Round -H part number
E3 - E7: not sure what your looking for

TR3: Return spring to shock tower

R1: 65 style 9 inch

EC1: Rivets
EC2: Brass inserts - 205 date

EX2: No triangles
EX3: Flat screws

Will update a few others later
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:23:03 PM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
I’ll kick this off for 6T09K127*** bucked on October 13. As I’m typing this, maybe another change specific to Metuchen is buck tag location which for this car is on passenger side apron next to shock tower....

Thanks for the submission

Guess I need to get threads started for each since if we each post a list for many topics in one place they might not be easy to compare or follow. Though another option would be to take the posted information, post it in the starter post of a new thread(s) - updating as new info comes in and deleting these posts once all of the information is used off these posts.

Will give it some thought to see what will work and benefit the readers best
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the submission

Guess I need to get threads started for each since if we each post a list for many topics in one place they might not be easy to compare or follow. Though another option would be to take the posted information, post it in the starter post of a new thread(s) - updating as new info comes in and deleting these posts once all of the information is used off these posts.

Will give it some thought to see what will work and benefit the readers best
I am guessing you did a copy paste of the original running changes thread and now probably want to remove the text below as it looks like it is research time?

To keep the thread from getting too long or out of hand please don't post that you found this version or that on car 6T07C2345xx (for example). We can save that for the research period and for the individual change threads”
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:26:21 PM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
I’m guessing you did a copy paste of the original running changes thread and now probably want to remove the text below as it looks like it’s research time?

To keep the thread from getting too long or out of hand please don't post that you found this version or that on car 6T07C2345xx (for example). We can save that for the research period and for the individual change threads”

Thanks - Yes with all the threads, cut and paste to get started helps by as we've found has some pitfalls  ::)  Fixed

Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
Here is what I can provide for 6T08C129XXX Bucked on October 21, 1965 with auto trans, drum brakes:

E5 engine change level 9

EC1 four plastic rivets

EX2 inner fender has three indented triangles

EX3 pan head screws

1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
Here is what I can provide for 6T08C129XXX Bucked on October 21, 1965 with auto trans, drum brakes:

E5 engine change level 9

EC1 four plastic rivets

EX2 inner fender has three indented triangles

EX3 pan head screws

Thanks will add them to the spread sheet. BTW EX2 is in reference to the fender not the inner fender :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
EX2 is smooth, no triangles
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.