Author Topic: hood pin finish  (Read 3822 times)

Offline dbm350

hood pin finish
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
   From what I understand the finish on the hood pin is supposed to be a dull or washed out zinc dichromate. How do you duplicate this finish? If it is plated it will be way to bright. Any help ?   If it makes a difference the car is a 1966 early April San Jose car.     Thanks

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: hood pin finish
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
i have been told you can have one that is too bright soaked in hot water to dull it down some. never tried it though. all the repros have the incorrect finish and they made lots of them.
5F09C331248

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
If you get one plated, and that is the only way to get one as far as I know, and find it too "gold" looking, carry it in your pocket with your pocket knife, change , nuts and washers and whatever else you lug around everyday and it will dull quickly.  The dichromate finish is no more than a dye and it comes off quickly.  Not a very high tech solution but iw seems to work.  Caution should be used to check the finish now and then so that you will not remove the dye completly.  Some of us are more active than others and that determines how long one has to carry the pin to get results. LOL
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
"Pocket" tumbler, nice!!   ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline dbm350

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »
Maybe I will get it plated and put it in my wifes' purse for about a month.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:35:25 AM »
 You had better be ready for the " is that a 65/66 hood pin in your pocket or are you just glad to see me" scenario :o .Bob ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Redline

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
The OEM Dowel - Hood Lock (pin) is case harden which has an effect on the appearance of the plating.
MCA# 52738
Certified National Judge 1964 1/2-1966 Mustang