Author Topic: 69-70 shelby hood -fender scoop/ rear decklid mesh  (Read 4797 times)

Offline mach1one

69-70 shelby hood -fender scoop/ rear decklid mesh
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:04:25 AM »
Is all the mesh used on the car of the same design. was the mesh bonded before or after paint on the scoops.Thanks Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69-70 shelby hood -fender scoop/ rear decklid mesh
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
There were two versions that seemed to be prevalent on the assemblyline for the trunk lid. There were  later service replacements that were different yet still. It had to do with the number of grate openings in the mesh from top to bottom.The later service mesh was smaller and had more grates when you counted them top to bottom. One of the hazards of the service mesh is that you had to be careful all the pieces matched (same size mesh). Shelby Parts and Restoration had made up some excellent reproduction. I believe the mesh was bonded in the fender scoops after painting so they didn't have to worry about overspray masking or compound when polishing.  I hope this helps. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:54:51 AM »
Just happened ;) to shoot a comparison shot earlier this week since I'm restoring a set.

Below - Upper one original / Lower one is a current repo

Agree with Bob - screens were added later If you look at originals you don't find body color overspray on the bonding materials
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
Thanks, What is the corect bonding agent and what is the color. what are the correct screws for the front hood mesh Thanks again Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
Thanks, What is the corect bonding agent and what is the color. what are the correct screws for the front hood mesh Thanks again Lu
I have seen has been a dark gray . The screen screws vary from a pan head screw to the flange head screw like what is used in the rear tail panel. I have seen more of the pan head screw used in that area. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
The bonding stuff I've seen is either black or very dark gray - hard to tell as it may have changed slightly over the years and if you grind through it i doesn't show well the color
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
The bonding stuff I've seen is either black or very dark gray - hard to tell as it may have changed slightly over the years and if you grind through it i doesn't show well the color
++1. Bob