Author Topic: Unusual/Lesser Seen Options  (Read 1782 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unusual/Lesser Seen Options
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »
Was labeling pictures tonight and ran across a picture of a 65 San Jose coupe we ran across earlier this year. What made it a bit odd IMHO was the an earlier owner (possibly first) had a set of rear coil/air bag helper springs added.

Have seen them installed in front and behind the rear axle (can't recall where the instructions show). These (like many options) were made by an aftermarket company and boxed differently for Ford. The were the rage for a while with the drag race set and for just helping handle additional loads.  Have seen these installed on cars into 67

Included a couple of pictures of some NOS ones in the kit

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

Re: Unusual/Lesser Seen Options
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
That's a pretty interesting thing to run across Jeff! It got me thinking. My parents traded in their '65 convert. (which they bought new), on a new '67 convert. I remember my dad had a Ford trailer hitch on the car and we used to go camping with it quit a bit. Seeing your pics made wonder if he got the bags too?! The trailer we commonly used was a pop-up, but I never recalled the rear sagging. Unfortunately my dad would be the only one to answer that question and he passed away 17 years ago. One of many questions about our old cars I'll never get answered. Oh well. Thanks for sharing the pics!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD