Author Topic: Condenser on 65 alternator radio delete vehicle?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Murf

Condenser on 65 alternator radio delete vehicle?
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
Does anyone know if 65 Mustangs WITHOUT a FACTORY INSTALLED RADIO had the condensor mounted on the original alternator?  The previous thread brought this question to mind.  I can't remember ever seeing an original alternator on a 65 without that condensor but probably had little occasion to ever even see a non radio equipped car in that era.  Anyone care to comment on this?  Since most Mustangs in 65 were equipped with a radio this may be difficult to determine.  I suspect that all Mustang in 65 had the condenser regardless of output or accessories, just curious.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Condenser on 65 alternator radio delete vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »
John,

I can't say 100%, but I'm 99.9999% sure that the condensers were only on cars equipped with a radio.  The assembly manual pretty much verifies this also.

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
Yes, Brant, it looks as if only cars with a radio were equipped with the alternator condenser in 1965.  It also appears that the condenser on the six cylinder cars is the same as on the eight cylinder vehicle, and the same condenser used across the board no matter the amperage output on the alternator.  So if one cannot find the codenser for your 65 alternator you can purchase a radio block off plate and be correct!  So does anyone have a radio delete car?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
,,,,,,,,,,,,, So if one cannot find the condenser for your 65 alternator you can purchase a radio block off plate and be correct!  So does anyone have a radio delete car?

Well that will work IF you want to redo (fill and paint) the passenger side fender to eliminate the antenna hole ;)

The best example of a radio delete car in volume IMHO would be the 65 Shelby's

Looking at original pictures of those cars - no condenser at the alternator
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
My '65 is a radio delete.  It was a pretty original car-no condensers anywhere.

Jeff-
I also looked at some original photos of '65 GT350 engines.  No condenser on the alternator that I can see.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
In my opinion, if a car was ordered as radio delete, it did not get either condenser from the factory.  This applies to later year cars also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »
Murf.
My 4500 mile car was originally a radio deleat.Has dealer added radio.No conensers were added to the regulator or alternator.Probably went in the mechanics tool box.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Brant

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Murf.
My 4500 mile car was originally a radio deleat.Has dealer added radio.No conensers were added to the regulator or alternator.Probably went in the mechanics tool box.

I bet that happened a lot if the radio was added at the dealer!