Author Topic: 1966 Sprint Chrome Air Cleaner  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
1966 Sprint Chrome Air Cleaner
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »
Hey everyone this looks to be a great forum for Concours guys.  I was at a show this weekend and a question came up about the correct chrome air cleaner for a Sprint car. My May 66 convertible does not have a snout but looks to be authentic. Another person told me all correct Sprint air cleaners had a snout. Also my chrome never looked to be especially shiny, more of a dull chrome.  What's correct or are both correct? Snout or No Snout?, Shined to perfection or dull? My air cleaner base is blue stamped 6E.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 Sprint Chrome Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
Your non-snorkel air cleaner would be correct.  Also, the poor chrome finish is consistent with all the originals I have seen.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Sprint Chrome Air Cleaner
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
These (like most air cleaner lids) were plated using a process referred to as "flash chrome" where there was less preparation (lacked the multiple coats of other platings before the chrome was applied) producing a slightly rougher and thinner coating

Here is a shot of a very low mileage Sprint air cleaner with the almost satin look of the chrome applied to the lid

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)